The Sustainability Science & Innovation (SSI) team is both the scientific authority for sustainability at Amazon and its sustainability research and development team. The Materials Science and Innovation (MSI) team is a new and growing team within SSI focused on sustainable materials research, development, and commercialization of new technologies. We inform Amazon’s most senior leaders on Think Big opportunities around materials and sustainability so that they may place big bets that will help us take care of the planet, benefit customers, and enable continued business growth. We also work closely with academic, government, and other industry partners to collaborate on developing new materials solutions that scale beyond Amazon applications alone.
We are looking for an experienced Sr. Scientist to help us develop and drive innovative scientific solutions that will improve the circularity of materials in our products, packaging, operations, and infrastructure. In this role, you will help conceptualize and develop new recycling technologies based on a deep understanding of materials. This is a dynamic role that will bring together materials science, chemical engineering, chemistry, and other scientific disciplines to devise and develop ways to keep materials in use. You will also partner with academic, government, and industries leaders to help develop solutions that scale beyond Amazon.
In addition to helping develop new innovative materials solutions, you will also serve as an internal subject matter expert, helping our business teams understand and make informed decisions related to materials recycling technologies.
Key job responsibilities
• Develop and lead early-stage, strategic sustainable materials initiatives and effectively influence, negotiate, and communicate with stakeholders
• Manage innovation projects from ideation to commercialization
• Engage with external thought leaders and companies developing innovative recycling solutions
• Stay current on new developments in the field of materials and advanced recycling technologies
• Provide subject matter expertise to time-critical questions from multiple business teams
• Professionally communicate to senior business leaders
A day in the life
• Ph.D. in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or similar
• 5+ years of industry experience (post graduate work) working in the field of materials
• Experience with recycling technologies, including emerging technologies for polymer deconstruction
• Experience with materials characterization techniques and analytical tools
• Experience with Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), with an emphasis on understanding the carbon life cycle of materials production and end-of-life
• Experience working with existing and emerging biodegradable polymers
• Experience with how chemistry impacts end-of-life opportunities, along with an experience with emerging polymers that are recyclable by design
• Experience with biodegradable testing standards and methodologies
• Experience working with external suppliers in the development process
• Experience working with diverse set of stakeholders
• Experience with materials development leveraging ML/AI (materials informatics)
• Experience working on thin film applications that require moisture and oxygen barrier properties (e.g. food packaging).
• Experience working with product or packaging design teams
• Passionate about sustainability
• Ability to clearly communicate complex technical concepts to leaders that are not experts in the field
• Strong technical communication skills with an emphasis on writing
• Strong ability to work autonomously and deliver results
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.