There's never been a more exciting time to join Amazon Australia!
Who are we and what do we do?
We are a world class ML team based in Adelaide and created in April 2020 with the hire of the Director of Applied Science, Anton van den Hengel.
The Amazon ML AU team is developing state-of-the-art large-scale Machine Learning methods and applications involving terabytes of data. We work on applying machine learning, and particularly computer vision, to a wide spectrum of areas such as Amazon Retail, Seller Services, and Online Video. We also publish our research in the best venues internationally.
The team is high performing, learning-oriented, motivated to over-achieve, have fun, and make history. We also have access to great data, and the best computing infrastructure.
About Anton van den Hengel
Anton was the founding Director of The Australian Institute for Machine Learning (Australia’s largest machine learning research group), and is currently the Director of the Centre for Augmented Reasoning and a Professor of Computer Science at the University of Adelaide.
With over 18,000 citations and an H-index of 67, Anton is one of the worlds’ leading authorities on Computer Vision and ML.
About the Team
The vast majority of the team have PhDs in machine learning (ML) or a related area from some of the best institutions globally, including Oxford, Stanford, Edinburgh, and Imperial College London, and have published in the best places in the field including Science, NeurIPS, IEEE PAMI, and CVPR.
The team includes two world-class Principal Scientists and an Amazon Scholar. We value diversity and collaboration to help each other succeed as a team.
Where are we based?
Although the team is mainly Adelaide based, we support flexible working options blending at home and in office from our offices in
Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra or Brisbane.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking to add a Manager, ML Applied Science to an already awesome team.
The Manager, ML Applied Science role at Amazon will be a technical team leader working to develop new challenging machine learning applications, services and platforms that optimize Amazon’s systems using cutting edge quantitative techniques.
This is one of the most exciting machine learning job opportunities on the internet today!
If you have deep technical know how in machine learning, know how to deliver, are highly innovative, are passionate about leading and growing a team with a combination of applied scientists and engineers and are long for the opportunity to build solutions to challenging problems that directly impact the company's bottom-line, we want to talk to you.
What will I be working on?
It’s fair to say that no two days are alike – so this position suits someone who enjoys variety and problem-solving:
· Use machine learning, computer vision, data mining and statistical techniques to create new, scalable solutions for business problems
· Analyze and extract relevant information from large amounts of Amazon’s historical business data to help automate and optimize key processes
· Design, develop and evaluate highly innovative models for predictive learning
· Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation and model implementation
· Research, implement and publish novel machine learning and statistical approaches
We have a number of current employees who split their time between lecturing at University and working for Amazon. Please let us know if this is of interest to you.
We provide full visa sponsorship which is a relatively fast process as we have been successful in obtaining Distinguished Talent visas for this team (typically takes weeks rather than months).
Full domestic and international relocation is also provided.
About Amazon Australia
Amazon offers great benefits including a competitive compensation and stock plan. We also look after our people with benefits including: subsidized private health and life insurance, commuter benefits and even an Amazon discount. Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For up to date news covering diversity and inclusion, sustainability and community engagement, please visit: https://www.aboutamazon.com.au/
· Completed PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Statistics or in a highly quantitative field
· Publications in top-tier conferences such as CVPR, ICCV, NeurIPS, ICML, and ACL
· 2+ years of experience managing analytics/software teams
· 2+ years of technical project management experience
· 5+ years of hands-on experience developing and implementing machine learning algorithms and models.
· Strong demonstrated skills implementing and deploying large scale machine learning applications and tools.
· Communication and data presentation skill
· Strong problem solving ability.
· Strong Problem solving ability
· Good skills in Python (or similar language)
· Strong communication and data presentation skills
· 5+ years post PhD completion experience in predictive modeling and analysis, predictive software development
· Experience in Deep Learning
· Experience in mentoring junior team members, and guiding them on machine learning and data modeling applications
· Experience handling gigabyte and terabyte size datasets
· Experience working with retail or e-commerce data
· Experience working with distributed systems and grid computing
If our business, culture, and love for research sound like they might be a fit, we'd love to hear from you!!