Alexa is Amazon’s intelligent, cloud-based voice recognition, and natural language understanding virtual assistant. We’re building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Alexa and other Amazon products and services. Come join our team and help improve the customer experience for the growing base of Alexa users!
As a Senior Applied Scientist with our Alexa Artificial Intelligence (AI) team, you will work on assessing Alexa's performance using predictive ML models. You will build and improve models to classify Alexa’s responses as correct/incorrect, and predict the most likely cause of failure in cases of incorrect action. Your work will directly impact our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology, particularly in developing predictive models to continuously improve the Alexa experience for our customers.
Key job responsibilities
· Design, build, test and release predictive ML models
· Ensure data quality throughout all stages of acquisition and processing, including such areas as data sourcing/collection, ground truth generation, normalization, and transformation.
· Collaborate with colleagues from science, engineering and business backgrounds.
· Present proposals and results to partner teams in a clear manner backed by data and coupled with actionable conclusions
· Work with engineers to develop efficient data querying and inference infrastructure for both offline and online use cases
· PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
· 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· PhD in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics or a related field
· Experience diving into data to discover hidden patterns and of conducting error/deviation analysis
· Hands-on experience with classical ML models (e.g., regression, trees), test/train/evaluation metrics, key parameters/techniques that affect model performance
· Experience with deep ML models (e.g., Transformers, BERT)
· Experience with Python/PySpark; solid knowledge with SQL
· Experience analyzing data to identify patterns and conducting error/deviation analysis; passion for fixing issues in the data and finding the optimal representation
· Business analytical mind; ability to communicate with consumers of the model and present results in intuitive ways
· Understanding of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets.
· Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations
· Strong attention to detail and exceptional level of organization
· Proven ability to achieve results in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
· Ability to think creatively and solve problems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.