Conversational interfaces are maturing and proliferating, but significant advances in conversational AI and related technologies will need to be made before a fully conversational web is possible. Alexa.com is seeking a creative, entrepreneurial, and customer-obsessed Applied Scientist who can apply cutting edge research and state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms as part of a new project that will push the boundaries of conversational AI. This position will require you to investigate and solve complex technical problems, innovate on behalf of customers, invent new technologies, and build cornerstone services to power the next generation of online conversational applications.
The ideal candidate has a broad and deep background in machine learning, is passionate about science, is highly driven to learn and deploy new technologies, thrives in a fast-paced environment that requires the development of solutions to ambiguous and challenging problems, and enjoys collaborating with both technical and nontechnical peers. As part of our AI team, you will work as a hands-on practitioner and technical leader in multiple areas such as statistical modeling, NLP and NLU, and deep learning. You will formulate and test hypotheses, evaluate and implement ML techniques, train and test new models, and deliver new production services that will be used by customers around the world.
Key job responsibilities
· Develop novel modeling techniques for pattern recognition, prediction, classification, and other complex data science problems
· Develop prototypes and collaborate with stakeholders to assess the feasibility of selected approaches
· Write high quality code and contribute to our codebase of scientific applications using relevant technologies
· Contribute to strategic planning and project management for a variety of technical initiatives
· Effectively communicate with customers, senior management, and colleagues with diverse roles and technical backgrounds
· Document methodologies and increase our institutional knowledge based on experimental results and operationalized solutions
About the team
Alexa.com is a wholly owned subsidiary of Amazon.com. At Alexa.com, we solve ML problems in natural language processing and understanding, search relevance and ranking, and digital behavior measurement and prediction. We have been gathering and analyzing data from online sources for more than 20 years, with terabytes of archived web content, a data-contributing panel of millions of users in countries around the world, and decades of experience as a leading provider of competitive analytics and marketing intelligence services. For more information, visit www.alexa.com.
· PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
· 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· Proficiency with a major programming language appropriate for data science such as Python, Scala, Java, or C++
· Expertise with a broad suite of machine learning techniques, natural language processing, and statistics
· A keen scientific mind with a proven ability to think critically and invent
· Experience with statistical and mathematical libraries and software
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and a strong discipline for documenting methodologies and applications
· A track record of thought leadership & contributions that have advanced the field
· Expertise in artificial intelligence techniques and methodologies
· Experience developing conversational agents and related technology
· Experience with modern methods for parallelized processing of large, distributed datasets (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, Map-reduce)
· Experience with AWS technologies such as EC2, S3, and Elastic Map Reduce, and ElasticSearch
· Peer-reviewed publications in top MLP, AI, or ML conferences or journals
· Experience working effectively with software engineering teams, product managers, and designers
· Experience working with web data (corpus of HTML documents, browse clickstreams, server logs)
· Proficiency with relational databases, Linux, and AWS solutions
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records