Amazon is looking for a creative Applied Scientist to tackle some of the most interesting problems on the leading edge of Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), and Information Retrieval (IR) with our Alexa Artificial Intelligence (AI) team. Alexa AI is part of our ongoing efforts focused on reinventing information extraction and retrieval for a voice-forward, multi-modal future.
A successful candidate will develop novel ML/NLP/IR/Deep Learning technologies to make Alexa smarter. They will have a true passion for working in a collaborative, cross-functional environment that encourages thinking about optimized solutions to unique problems that do not have yet a known science solution.
If you are looking for an opportunity to solve deep technical problems and build innovative solutions in a fast-paced environment working within a smart and passionate team, this might be the role for you. You will develop and implement novel algorithms and modeling techniques to leverage and advance the state-of-the-art in technology areas that are found at the intersection of ML, NLP, IR, and Deep Learning. Your work will directly impact Amazon products and services that make use of speech and language technology. You will gain hands on experience with Alexa and large-scale computing resources.
In this role you will:
· Work collaboratively with scientists and developers to design and implement automated, scalable NLP/ML/IR models for accessing and presenting information
· Drive scalable solutions from the business, to prototyping, production testing and through engineering directly to production
· Drive best practices on the team, deal with ambiguity and competing objectives, and mentor and guide junior members to achieve their career growth potential.
· PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
· 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· PhD in ML, NLP, IR, Computer Science or a related field.
· Record of publication in peer-reviewed journals and conferences in the field.
· 3+ years of work experience
· Experience in designing and building large scale ML, NLP, or IR systems.
· Strong sense of ownership and drive.
· Strong communication skills.
· Scientific thinking and the ability to invent and simplify, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the state of the art in your field of interest.
· Expert in at least one more major programming language (C++, Java, or similar) and at least one scripting language (Python, or similar), and one Deep Learning Framework (MXNet, Tensor Flow, etc.).
· Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including an ability to effectively collaborate with research and technical teams, earn the trust of your colleagues, and influence senior stakeholders.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.