Amazon aims to exceed the expectations of our customers by ensuring that their orders, no matter how large or small, are delivered as quickly, accurately, and cost effectively as possible. To meet this goal, Amazon has invested in Amazon Logistics, a world class last mile operation. We are looking for a dynamic, resourceful, and organized Sr Economist within Amazon Logistics’ Amazon Flex organization to develop new, data-driven solutions to support the most critical components of this rapidly scaling operation.
As part of the Last Mile Science & Technology organization, you’ll partner closely with Science, Product, Tech, and Program teams to design innovative solutions to organizational and business problems. You will develop new sophisticated algorithms and improve existing approaches. You will be expected to communicate highly complex findings to multiple audiences.
In addition to designing meaningful research questions and analyzing the resulting data, you must be able to see a full loop vision that goes beyond experimentation and proof of concept to conceptualizing design solutions, collaborating closely with multiple teams to ensure the relevance and impact of your work to business stakeholders. You will be expected to be a thought leader as we chart new courses with our delivery support technologies.
Execute global research initiatives
Work in an ambiguous environment
Conduct, direct, and coordinate all phases of research projects, demonstrating skill in all stages of the analysis process, including defining key research questions, recommending measures, working with multiple data sources, evaluating methodology and design, executing analysis plans, interpreting and communicating results.
PhD in Economics, Quantitative Marketing, Finance, or closely related field.
· Experience in E-commerce or similar industries
· A natural curiosity and desire to learn
· Ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts
· Ability to distill problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal business requirements
· Ability to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Ability to communicate relevant scientific insights from data to senior business leaders
· Experience with big data and analytics
· Fluency in a high-level modeling language such as Python or other statistical software
· Experience applying economics combined with machine learning or data science techniques
· Strong influencing and partnership skills
· Proven record of bringing high impact science algorithms to production at scale
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us