AWS Central Economics is an interdisciplinary team on the cutting edge of economics, statistical analysis, and machine learning whose mission is to solve problems that have high risk with abnormally high returns. Our team leverages the strengths of our scientists to build solutions for some of the toughest business problems here at Amazon AWS.
We are looking for an exceptionally talented, seasoned, and motivated Senior Economist to drive the science and inform the automation of downstream impact analyses of AWS services and programs. Currently, the output of these analyses supports critical CEO, SVP, and VP-level decision making at AWS, including the launching and pricing of products and product features, investment, acquisitions, go-to-market and sales motions, and the design of credits and incentives.
You will lead the development of a unified and scalable science and data-drive approach to quantifying the value that AWS services bring to AWS (above and beyond their billable revenue) to inform top-down company-wide strategic investment decisions. You will apply creativity, economic thinking, and state-of-the art methods in econometrics (reduced-form methods for causal inference, and structural estimation) and ML (both for prediction and causal inference) to produce reliable, transparent, actionable, and scalable solutions. You will join a diverse team of economists and other scientists, benefit from the Amazon's Scholar Residency Program (which consists of world-class academic scientists and researchers), closely supervise/advise junior scientists, and leverage our data support resources. You will learn about all aspects of the cloud computing business, and you and your work will get consistent exposure to senior leadership.
You are bold and out-of-the-box in your economic thinking but pragmatic in crafting and executing your solutions. You are an attentive listener with proven ability to disambiguate and break-out complex business problems into simpler tasks. You have the ability to force multiply your impact and skills through others. Your proof of concept science is designed to be built into engineering systems.
· Work within ACE DSI team to consult with internal partner terms on collaboration opportunities and to assess potential for impact.
· Own the development of economic models and manage the data analysis, modeling, and experimentation necessary to validate your model.
· Effectively communicate econometric models to business teams and incorporate feedback into project analysis/modeling.
· PhD in Economics or closely related field
· Four or more years of experience in a postdoctoral position; or, four or more years of experience in consulting, government or academic research.
· Applicants with considerably more experience (6 plus years), including mid-career, are strongly encouraged.
· Strong research track record, drives results.
· Strong background in statistics/econometric methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
· Hands-on experience with causal estimation, the design of randomized experiments, and demand estimation.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
· Exhibits high business judgment.
· Dives deep, thinks big and has convictions.
· Effective verbal and written communications skills.
· Experience programming in R, Python.
· Working knowledge of SQL.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.