Amazon Games is looking for an exceptionally skilled Environment Artist to join our New World team in Sunny Irvine, CA. In New World, players fight for survival as they explore and conquer the mysterious island of Aeternum. In this role, you will work alongside a vibrant community of developers and game-lovers as we all work to share this ambitious game with the world. You will be helping to craft and create our worlds. You will need to combine a strong aesthetic sense of visually interesting spaces with a solid understanding of level design.
Amazon Games applies the principles of Amazonian culture to the world of game design. We have a diverse team of talented, creative people pairing their love of making games with the unique strengths that come with being part of Amazon. Across all of our teams and locations, we are united by a common purpose: to share great gaming experiences with customers around the world. We believe in a future where everyone is a gamer and everyone can create, compete, collaborate and connect through games, and we are looking for the right people to help us build that future. With the power of Twitch and AWS at your fingertips, you will have the chance to innovate in gameplay, creativity, marketing, and technology, while working alongside some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
· Create living, breathing places of interest that are both exceptional artistically and as game play spaces
· Work with the art team to ensure artistic unity with the entire project.
· Work with the design team to create harmonious and fun game play experiences
· Excel at consistent aesthetic and technical quality throughout the asset pipeline.
· Optimize Assets for performance and memory.
Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career Growth
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
Key job responsibilities
· Work with Level Designers to lay out and compose narrative rich gameplay spaces
· Build additional 3d assets from scratch of by kit bashing existing assets
· Work with art direction and art team to ensure artistic and technical unity with the entire project.
· Optimize Assets for performance and memory.
A day in the life
World Builders are a bridge between game designers and environment modelers. They often work together in sub teams to create regions, events and other spaces depending on the needs of the team, and regularly meet together and with design to align on goals, progress and to review. Design typically outlines the overall play space objectives and World Builders compose those spaces into interesting and fun play space. Design then sets up encounters. World Builders primarily use existing assets but may need to create new assets as needed.
About the team
The New World team is a group of dedicated and professional game developers. Within the larger team, the World Experience team or WEX team owns the Environment, Encounters and Questing. The Artists within that team are divided into Modelers, World Builders and Terrain Artists. Modelers build most of the assets that the World Builders use to create places of interest, while terrain artists create all of the terrains and vegetation and make sure the places of interest merge correctly with the terrain.
· 3+ years of experience in the game industry with at least 1 shipped AAA title or equivalent work in a related field.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Art or in related field
· 3+ years of experience with level design layouts, compositions, and play spaces
· Online Portfolio demonstrating world building and lighting skills, modeling, material creation as well as foundational skills in composition, design, and color theory.
-Familiarity with gameplay composition, framing, leading a player through a level, modular level construction, and creating narrative with set dressing
· Highly Proficient in major 2D and 3D software packages (Max/Maya and Zbrush/Mudbox, Substance, Photoshop)
· Expert knowledge of at least one Game Engine (CryEngine, Unreal, or equivalent)
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principle requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.