We are looking for a leader of Science on the Seller Fees team. In this role, you will lead a team of economists and machine learning (ML) scientists to develop our fee pricing models worldwide. You will own the development of causal models to help isolate the impact of fee and policy changes from other business actions, using experiments where possible, or observational data when it is not. You will leverage ML techniques to estimate seller economics at scale. You will guide the development of optimization models to balance the long term growth and profitability of Amazon stores.
The ideal candidate will have strong technical knowledge across Economics and ML, a proven ability to lead a team scientists, and will be an effective communicator with senior leadership. They will enjoy working on ambiguous problems and will have strong business acumen. They will serve as a key member of the Seller Fees leadership team with peers that include Fee Strategy, Software Engineering, Fee Seller Experience, and Fee Integrity.
Key job responsibilities
• Lead a team of ~25 people across technical job families (Applied Scientists, Data Scientists, Economists, Data Engineers…)
• Shape the thinking of the monetization of the Amazon marketplace with senior leaders across Amazon
• Manage a research agenda that balances short term deliverables with measurable business impact with long term, high risk / high reward projects
• Own a portfolio of science-based products (e.g. simulation platforms) to support stakeholders worldwide
• Provide technical and scientific guidance to team members.
• Partner with academics to advance research in causal modeling
• Hire and develop top talent
• Collaborate with business and software teams both within and outside of fees for prioritization and resources
A day in the life
Typical activities include:
Brainstorm new causal modeling approach with senior scientists
Host a Fee Science MBR
Review fee impact analysis with EU business team
Connect with tech team on product roadmap priorities
Plan a fun holiday team get together with EA
About the team
The Seller Fees team owns the end-to-end fees experience for two million active third party sellers who sell their products in our stores. We own the fee strategy, fee seller experience, fee accuracy and integrity, fee science and analytics, and we provide scalable technology to monetize all services available to third-party sellers.
PhD in Economics
15+ years experience in a related field
7+ years team leadership
Expertise in causal modeling
Experience with double-sided marketplaces
Outstanding written and verbal communication both with technical and non-technical audiences
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.