Sort Tech Science is looking for a motivated Principal Research Scientist with strong modeling and analytical skills to join our team. As a scientist on our team, you will play an integral role in developing analysis approaches, strategies, and models that improve the efficiency and cost effectiveness of our global network of sortation facilities. Our scientists work with a mix of planning, scheduling, forecasting, and operational decision making models. These models present a range of interesting challenges such as: (i) how do we express our problems in a way that can be solved and what are the appropriate solution techniques (ii) how do we quantify the impact of our decisions on operations (iii) how do we improve our model inputs (forecasts, etc) and make our models robust to errors in the same (iv) how do we guarantee that our models can produce solutions fast enough to be practically usable, without having to sacrifice output quality (v) and many more.
Key job responsibilities
· Prototyping, analyzing, and maintaining models which are crucial components of our sortation strategy.
· Working closely with software development teams as well as business partners to guarantee that models are both implemented correctly and understood by the wider business.
· Driving model improvements to assure these models become the de-facto standard across Amazon’s sortation network.
· Identifying and evaluating opportunities to reduce costs and maximize efficiency with new models and techniques.
· Gathering, analyzing, and presenting data to support various business initiatives. Proposing new metrics if the necessary data is not available.
· Helping guide the long term vision of our team, through effective communication with senior management as well with colleagues from computer science, operations research, and business backgrounds.
A day in the life
Exploring new opportunities, methods, models, and algorithms to delight our customers by improving sortation technologies and influencing future business requirements.
About the team
Sort Tech supports under-the-roof (UTR) operations for post-SLAM packages at Outbound Dock of Fulfillment Centers (FC OB Docks), Sort Centers (SCs), AIR Hubs & Gateways, as well as First Mile Operations, plus dock capabilities for Inbound Cross Docks (IXDs) and Delivery Stations (DS). As the newest vertical in Middle Mile Planning, Research, and Optimization Science (mmPROS), Sort Tech Science's vision is to bring modeling, optimization, analysis, and automation to Middle Mile package and transportation flow, to improve safety, reduce variable costs, and accelerate delivery speeds.
· Ph.D. in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Statistics or a related quantitative field
· 10+ years of hands-on experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment
· Experience with defining research and development practices, model development, and solution delivery in large-scale, challenging environments.
· Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in premier journals and conferences
· Demonstrated ability to deliver results for customers and competing sets of stakeholders
· Proven track record in technically leading and mentoring scientists
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.