Excited by the disruptive potential of quantum technology, machine learning and high performance computing? Want to help the largest global enterprises understand the challenges and opportunities of advanced compute technologies? Eager to get first-hand access to cutting-edge hardware to explore and solve customer problems? Thrilled to be key part of Amazon, who has been investing in disruptive innovation for decades, pioneering and shaping the world’s technology?
At Amazon Web Services (AWS), we are helping large enterprises on their advanced compute journey on the AWS Cloud. We are using the state-of-the-art algorithms on cutting-edge hardware against a wide spectrum of industry problems. Our Professional Services organization works together with our AWS customers to explore the potentials of advanced research, science, and technology. Our team collaborates across the entire AWS organization to bring access to product and service teams, to get the right solution delivered and drive feature innovation based upon customer needs.
AWS Professional Services is a unique consulting team. We pride ourselves on being customer obsessed and highly focused on the enablement of our customers. If you have academic and/or industry experience with advanced compute technologies, we’d like to have you join our team. You will get to work with an innovative company, with great teammates, and have a lot of fun helping our customers.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Professional Services team is looking for a Science Manager in the Intelligent and Advanced Computing Technologies (IACT) organization with a successful history of leading cutting-edge research, delivering best-in-class solutions, managing world-class talent, and possessing the drive and experience to scale to effectively meet the needs of our customers.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have thirteen employee-led affinity groups, reaching 85,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here. We are a customer-obsessed organization—leaders start with the customer and work backwards. They work vigorously to earn and keep customer trust.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
· Build and retain a strong and coherent team with particular focus on advanced compute, sciences, and innovation.
· Engage with commercial enterprise customers to understand their business drivers, scientific and application portfolios.
· Development of long term advanced compute strategy for our customers
· Identification and development of specific advanced compute opportunities and supporting business cases.
· Mitigation of delivery risks and issues.
· Overseeing delivery of advanced compute and scientific projects, ensuring high quality delivery.
· Act as single person of contact for Customer executives, developing deep, trustful relations.
· Educate customers on AWS advanced compute technologies and translate those into a clear business value proposition.
· Research, develop, and implement novel advanced compute approaches, including variational algorithms.
· Collaborate with Service, science, and research teams to continually improve the customer experience
· Create white papers, write blogs, and build demos and other reusable collateral that help customers understand and adopt advanced compute technologies.
· As this is a customer facing role, you will be required to travel to client locations and deliver professional services when needed.
· A Bachelor and/or Masters Degree in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or equivalent.
· 7+ years of industry experience in quantitative or scientific field related to advanced computing such as predictive modeling, data science, quantum computing, quantum physics, and/or high performance computing (HPC).
· Previous experience in a scientist role and a track record of building advanced compute solutions
· Experience using Python and/or R and related scientific libraries (such as scikit-learn, caret, mlr, mllib)
· Ability to solve complex technical problems and design robust, scalable solutions
· Ability to understand cutting edge scientific models and adapt them for customer use-cases
· Ability to think critically and actively contribute to strategic choices
· Extended travel to customer locations may be required to deliver professional services, as needed
· PhD in a highly quantitative field (Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.)
· AWS Data Science, HPC, or Quantum services, platforms and frameworks (such as SageMaker, Braket, ParallelCluster, etc.)
· 2+ years of hands-on experience as a Principal-level Scientist or Engineer with broad enterprise systems and data systems experience
· Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for scientific data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations
· Good skills with programming languages, such as Java, C++, or C
· Consulting experience and track record of helping customers with their advanced compute needs
· Experience managing customer relationships and key business stakeholders
· Publications or presentations in recognized Machine Learning, Quantum, or Scientific journals/conferences
· Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy enough to interface with all levels and disciplines within our customer and partner organizations
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment
· Strong written and verbal communication skills, including group leadership and presentations
· Demonstrated ability to work creatively and analytically in meeting customer needs
· A proven track record of managing and delivering large-scale enterprise advanced compute projects
· Proven track record of hiring and developing the best, building teams and coaching them to success
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.