Excited about robotics, and how it will be used in our everyday lives? The Amazon Consumer Robotics group is pushing the boundaries of what’s possible, making the future closer than ever.
Astro is Amazon’s first household robot to use AI and Intelligent Motion to gracefully and intuitively interact with people and spaces. It is a different kind of robot, one that’s designed to help customers with a range of tasks like home monitoring and keeping in touch with family. It brings together new advancements in artificial intelligence, computer vision, sensor technology, voice and edge computing in a package that’s designed to be helpful and convenient.
We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting-edge advances in Computer Vision and Robotics to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even imagine yet. We are looking for an intrepid problem-solver to dive into an ambiguous problem space and design and deliver innovative Computer Vision solutions, and to collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams, to put the concepts you develop into production. You will work alongside applied scientist, engineering (software/hardware), product management and design to define and build key features and functionality for a truly unique product. As Applied Scientist Manager, you will be responsible for building and leading a team of applied scientists and engineers to architect, design, and develop cutting edge CV/ML/DL technologies and services. This leader will own critical platform components spanning across device and cloud, and will work with other leaders to solve difficult technical problems. The ideal candidate will have an established background building best-of-class applied science teams and a proven track record of solving hard technical problems. This person must also be a strong leader who can drive consensus across cross-functional business and software development teams and be an excellent communicator who can articulate technical design tradeoffs with senior technical leaders.
• MS/PhD degree in Computer Vision, Machine Learning, or related areas
• Proven track record of shipping computer vision products or systems
• 5+ years of industrial experience on computer vision systems
• 2+ years of managing experience of scientists
• 3+ years of experience with, at least, one programming language such as C++, Python, Java
• Strong business writing, verbal communication, and cross discipline collaboration skills
• Experience in working with edge-based computer vision algorithms
• Experience managing software development engineers
• Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities. Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly.
• 2+ years of hands-on experience as a senior-level scientist
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.