Are you interested in delighting Alexa customers around the world? We have a unique position in the Alexa AI Knowledge team to solve interesting problems related to speech recognition and question-answering, across the languages we support.
Our challenge is to ensure Alexa answers every question in any language, on any topic, at any time. "Who won the football match?", "How long till Diwali?", "How old is Dresden Cathedral?" We aim to answer these questions the first time they are asked in a way that’s natural, engaging and fun.
We’re looking for an Applied Scientist II to lead a cross-functional team in developing novel techniques (e.g. deep neural network architectures) and deploying them to production toward our end goal of reducing the friction customers feel when Alexa doesn’t understand a user’s spoken question or when it requires repeating or rephrasing to get an answer. The ideal candidate has the requisite background and experience in building high-performing, collaborative teams. This person is versed in cutting-edge research and has an eye for hiring and developing talent.
We have an opportunity to make a large and long-lasting impact for our customers. This job will test your skills across the board. Interesting problems? Check. Collaborative, curious and caring team? Check. Opportunities to invent at scale? Check. Opportunities to grow our exceptional talent? Check.
Our challenges are big and the pace is fast. We provide a high-energy, empathetic, and supportive environment. Come join us if you like to put the customer at the center, invent, and think long-term. At Amazon, it's still Day 1.
This position is based in London.
· 5+ years of people management experience
· Strong bias for action with a "get it done" attitude
· Fluent in a scripting language (e.g. Python) and competent in a development language (e.g. Java).
· Ability to communicate crisply in writing and speech to any audience
· PhD/Masters in a technical field
· A passion for Alexa, voice-forward technology, and languages
· PhD in Computer Science or Computational Linguistics
· Excellent publication record in NLP and ML at well-known conferences