Join us in a historic endeavor to make Computer Vision accessible to the world with breakthrough research! The AWS AI Labs Computer Vision team has a world-leading team of researchers and academics. We develop the algorithms and models that power AWS computer vision services, such as Amazon Rekognition, Amazon Textract, and Amazon Lookout for Vision, and we conduct and publish long-term research in broad areas of computer vision.
We are looking for a senior applied science manager to join us and make the AI revolution happen through innovative research inspired by customer needs. As a Senior Applied Science Manager, you will identify research directions, create and execute roadmaps for forward-looking research and communicate them to senior leadership. You will partner with product teams to define what’s feasible while pushing the envelope on what’s possible. You will work closely with engineering teams to bring research to production. You will manage and lead multiple teams of talented scientists and science leaders, and grow the team by attracting the best scientists in computer vision and deep learning. You are expected to develop innovative solutions to hard problems, and lead your teams to publish your research results at peer reviewed conferences and workshops.
AWS, the world-leading provider of cloud services, has fostered the creation and growth of countless new businesses, and is a positive force for good. Our customers bring problems which will give scientists endless opportunities to see their research have a positive and immediate impact in the world. You will have the opportunity to partner with technology and business teams to solve real-world problems, have access to virtually endless data and computational resources, and to world-class engineers and developers that can help bring your ideas into the world.
Our research themes include, but are not limited to: few-shot learning, transfer learning, unsupervised and semi-supervised methods, multimodal learning, semi-automated data annotation, large scale image and video recognition, face detection and recognition, document OCR and scene text recognition, document understanding, and geometric computer vision.
We are currently located in the US (Seattle, Pasadena, and Bay Area) and Israel (Haifa and Tel Aviv). We are open to candidates interested in working either virtually or remotely from another Amazon location. Additional locations include San Diego and New York City.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
* Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or Physics or related field.
* 7+ years of experience in AI and Machine Learning in industry and/or academia.
* 3+ years of experience recruiting and managing PhD level Scientists, Researchers and Engineers from industry and/or academia.
* Proven research science publication background with a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
* Strong skills in programming languages, such as C/C++ and Python.
* Proven experience in commercializing computer vision, machine learning, or deep learning solutions
* Strong record of delivery in industry and academic contexts, ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* PhD or MSc in computer science or related fields
* 10+ years of experience in AI, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing in industry and/or academia.
* 5+ years of experience recruiting and managing PhD level Scientists, Researchers and Engineers.
* Strong publication history in top peer reviewed conferences
* Proven experience in designing and delivering computer vision or machine learning systems with multiple components
* Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
* Exhibits excellent judgment
* Hires and develops great people
* Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
* Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
* Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
* Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
* Oriented towards delivering results
* Thinks big
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.