Our mission is to inspire readers by making it easy to read more and get more out of reading. In pursuit of this, our 60+ person global Design Studio provides the user research, UX design, and brand design for Kindle E-readers, Kindle apps for phones & tablets, Author & Publisher tools, and book shopping experiences used by millions of readers and thousands of authors around the world.
We are looking for passionate, design-focused, and customer-obsessed Sr UX Designers to join our team. We have a variety of open roles focused on all facets of books and reading, including the tools and services that authors and publishers use to make their books, the discovery and shopping experiences our customers use to find their next great read, and the apps and devices used for reading across the globe – as well as innovative products for kids, comics, education, and more! If you are interested in any (or all) of the above, we would love to talk with you!
You think strategically and successfully collaborate with product managers, engineers, executives, and other designers, leading the design vision and project deliverables from rough sketches to working prototypes. You explore and translate complex interactions into simple, engaging solutions. You effectively communicate those solutions, both verbally and through sketches, user flows, wireframes, hi-fi mocks and functional prototypes. You are responsive, flexible and able to succeed in a fast-paced, collaborative environment without supervision. You are a systems-thinking, detail-oriented designer who wants to build and ship on a global scale.
About the Kindle / Books Design Studio
We are a diverse, collaborative group with a passion for crafting exceptional experiences. We aspire to help our customers find and read the content they are most passionate about and provide them with an opportunity for education, escape, and self-reflection in a complex world. We hope you'll join us.
**We are open to hiring this role to sit anywhere in the U.S., though the team is largely based in Seattle. We would fully support relocation to Seattle, should that location be desired.**
· Create user-centered designs and workflows by considering customer feedback, site metrics, and usability findings
· Use business requirements and customer research to assist in developing scenarios, use cases, and high-level requirements
· Design the visual style, interface, and interaction flow of applications and experiences
· Create conceptual diagrams, wireframes, visual mockups, click-throughs, and prototypes
· Define and maintain detailed user-interface specifications and design patterns
· Develop streamlined prioritization and work processes in collaboration with product and engineering partners
· Present design work to the design team, product stakeholders, and Amazon executives
· 8+ years of professional experience as a UX designer or interaction designer
· An online portfolio or samples of work on resume, demonstrating hands-on experience creating great end-to-end, user-centered design solutions and patterns, across desktop and mobile devices
· High proficiency with design and prototyping tools (Sketch, InVision, Figma, Framer, Keynote, etc.) and familiarity with common design patterns for consumer technologies (web, Android, iOS, etc.)
· Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience
· Understanding of UX and user research principles and processes
· Passion for design, books, and literature
· Demonstrated strong visual design expertise with ability to produce fresh, simple, elegant and usable layouts, interactions, and iconography
· Experience conducting lightweight user research (e.g. usability studies and customer interviews) using self-service web-based tools, and familiarity with common user-research methodologies
· Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders, leadership, and peers/partners, including excellent oral and written communication skills
· Strong bias for action and "get it done" attitude, while also being flexible and adaptable to different teams’ working styles, methodologies, and customers
· Capacity to own and drive the design process by independently defining requirements, scoping projects, prioritizing tasks, and delivering on commitments
· Willingness to set a vision, then achieve it by incrementally executing improvements that aggregate to large wins over time
· Experience building and maintaining design systems
· Tenacity, diplomacy, and a sense of humor
· Experience designing for consumer electronics products
• The pay range for this position in Colorado is $137,738 - $186,351/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.