The principal scientist will initiate and work on key initiatives for developing and advancing world-leading automatic speech recognition (ASR) technology for any voice-driven Alexa end-point. The goal is to achieve unmatched speech recognition accuracy for any device, in any acoustic environment, for any speaker, and for any domain and application running on Alexa. You will analyze system short-comings, for leading the development of data-driven and algorithmic improvements, for defining the path to production, and for influencing design and architecture of goal-relevant software. You will work in a hybrid, fast-paced organization where scientists and engineers work jointly together and drive improvements directly to production.
The principal scientist will either go deep on a specific area like single ASR model recognizing multiple languages supporting in-utterance code switching, or models learning without human transcription and act as a technical lead, or will work across teams and areas influencing data, algorithm, and design decisions. Areas of interest cover the whole ASR spectrum, including general purpose ASR, multi-channel raw audio input acoustic modeling, noise robust acoustic modeling, device and speaker independent acoustic modeling, acoustic model adaptation, advanced deep learning for acoustic and language modeling, active learning and semi-/unsupervised learning techniques for acoustic and language modeling, learning from heterogeneous and mismatched audio and text data including data selection and data simulation, large-scale open-domain language modeling, language model adaptation, contextual and personalized language modeling, multi-lingual automatic pronunciation generation, text verbalization and (inverse) text normalization, etc.
The principal scientist will help drive scalable, robust, and automated solutions, making new algorithms and processes scalable to work on production-scale data sizes and achieving automated adaptation of processes and algorithms to new environments and to other locales. You will also help integrate new algorithms and processes into existing modeling stacks, simplify and streamline the existing modeling stacks, and develop testing and evaluation strategies. You will influence design and architecture of software stacks used offline and at runtime for building and deploying ASR model artifacts, achieving flexible yet efficient solutions suitable for R&D work and for running in production.
· Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, or Mathematics with at least 7 years of related work experience
· Domain expertise in acoustic and/or language modeling for speech recognition, familiarity with deep learning for speech recognition
· Familiarity with machine learning techniques, scientific thinking, and the ability to invent
· Familiarity with programming languages such as C/C++ and Python
· PhD with specialization in speech recognition and machine learning
· Strong publication record
· Strong software design and development skills
· Experience working effectively with science, data processing, and software engineering teams
· Proven track record of innovation and advancing the state of the art
· Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong architectural and problem solving skills
· Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.