Amazon Sub-Same-Day Supply Chain team is looking for an experienced and motivated Senior Data Scientist to generate data-driven insights influencing the long term SSD supply chain strategy, build the necessary predictive models, optimization algorithms and customer behavioral segments allowing us to discover and build the roadmap for SSD to enable operational efficiency and scale.
Key job responsibilities
- Work with product managers, engineers, other scientists, and leadership to identify and prioritize complex problems.
- Translate business problems into specific analytical questions and form hypotheses that can be answered with available data using scientific methods or identify additional data needed in the master datasets to fill any gaps
- Design, develop, and evaluate highly innovative statistics and ML models
- Guide and establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation and model implementation
- Proactively seek to identify business opportunities and insights and provide solutions to shape key business processes and policies based on a broad and deep knowledge of Amazon data, industry best-practices, and work done by other teams.
A day in the life
In this role, you will be a technical expert with significant scope and impact. You will work with Product Managers, Business Engineers, and other Scientists, to deeply understand SSDs current optimization strategy while benchmarking against industry best practices and standards to gain insights that will drive our roadmap. A successful Data Scientist will have extreme bias for action needed in a startup environment, with outstanding leadership skills, proven ability to build and manage medium-scale modeling projects, identify data requirements, build methodology and tools that are statistically grounded. It will be a person who enjoys diving deep into data, doing analysis, discovering root causes, and designing long-term scientific solutions. We are seeking someone who can thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy and fun work environment where we deliver value incrementally and frequently. We value highly technical people who know their subject matter deeply and are willing to learn new areas. We look for individuals who know how to deliver results and show a desire to develop themselves, their colleagues, and their career.
About the team
Amazon's Sub-Same Day (SSD) delivery program is designed to get customers their items as fast as possible – currently in as quickly as five hours. With ultra-fast delivery becoming increasingly important, we are looking for an experienced Senior Data Scientist to help us benchmark against industry standards to uncover insights to improve and optimize the long term supply chain strategy for Amazons Sub-Same-Day business.
· 5+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
· 4+ years working as a Data Scientist
· Master’s degree with 5 years relevant experience in a highly quantitative field (Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, etc.), or equivalent professional or military experience working as a Data Scientist.
· Proficient with using scripting language such as Python and data manipulation/analysis libraries for analyzing and modeling data.
· Experienced in using multiple data science methodologies to solve complex business problems (e.g. statistical analysis, research science, machine learning and deep learning techniques, data modeling, regression modeling, financial analysis, demand modeling, etc.).
· Proven ability to communicate verbally and in writing to technical peers and leadership teams with various levels of technical knowledge, educating them about our systems, as well as sharing insights and data-driven recommendations.
· A PhD degree in a highly quantitative field (Machine Learning, AI, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Operational Research, etc.), or equivalent professional or military experience working as a Data Scientist.
· 5+ years’ experience in a ML or Data Scientist role with a large technology company.
· Skilled with Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as Python or similar scripting language.
· Advanced knowledge and expertise with Data modelling skills, Advanced SQL with Oracle, MySQL, Redshift and Columnar Databases.
· Demonstrated industry leadership in the fields of Database and/or Data Warehousing, Data Sciences and Big Data processing.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.