What do you like most about shopping at Amazon? Huge product selection? Amazon’s catalog has billions of items. Despite its mind-boggling size and variety, it remains the best in the business. That’s no accident! We use state of the art machine learning techniques and cloud computing technologies to keep it that way. A vast and high quality product catalog is a key strategic asset for Amazon that sets us apart from our competitors. Come help us make the world’s best product catalog even better and influence the way millions of customers shop.
As a Technical Program Manager (TPM) within Amazon’s Selection and Catalog Systems, you will own solutions to a large set of customer-facing product catalog issues that influence critical business processes and product discovery. Our work is at the cutting edge of machine learning/information retrieval algorithms and big data analytics leveraging the best of what AWS (Amazon Web Services) has to offer to run ML at scale. Here is a taste of incredibly captivating questions that you, as a leader, will be asking yourself almost every day:
- How do we process datasets (in excess of billions of records and hundreds of TB in size) that continue to increase at an incredibly fast rate with even fewer computing resources?
- How do we keep raising the bar on the reach of our automated solutions to reduce/eliminate manual fixes to the catalog?
- How do we adapt appropriate algorithms from machine learning and information retrieval to solve customer-facing problems?
- How do we make sure that you always get relevant results when you search for products on Amazon?
In this role you will be responsible for scoping and delivering large projects across the Amazon Catalog Systems. Responsibilities include collection of business and systems requirements from internal and external customers, writing specifications including success criteria, driving project schedules from design to release, and managing the production launch. You will lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts between stakeholders to develop optimal solutions. You will be expected to make appropriate tradeoffs to optimize time-to-market, clearly communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes to stakeholders, internal cross-functional and remote project teams. You will have end to end ownership - all the way from defining the strategy to measuring metrics to monitoring day to day progress of these programs. You will provide direct visibility to senior leadership on all aspects of your programs on a regular cadence.
- You will manage business requirements, design, performance expectations and goals with all stakeholder teams.
- You will partner with management to define strategy and build road maps for the projects you own.
- You will track real time service levels and schedule adherence, and ensure the individual stakeholder teams meet and exceed their performance targets.
- You will be responsible for the overall coordination, quality and productivity and will be the primary point of contact for world-wide stakeholders of programs that you run.
- Throughout, you will internalize Amazon’s Leadership Principles, and live those into everyday practices to guide your programs to success.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field
- The ideal candidate will have 8+ years of relevant program management experience
- Strong understanding of software development process with an appreciation for maintaining a high quality bar with low operational overhead.
- Understanding of drivers of performance, scale and operational excellence in software and ability to work with software development manager to ensure these aspects in all software used in the program.
- Show excellent communication skills in written and oral English with the ability to face external and internal customers in a professional and mature manner.
- Candidates should demonstrate superior project management and troubleshooting skills. An approach that starts from the end customer and then work backwards from there.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field
- Experience in building and driving adoption of new tools
- Experience in delivering Amazon-scale systems
- An understanding of distributed and service-oriented architectures.
- Program managed rollout and operations of large scale commercial enterprise software systems or large scale online services
- Experience with Agile Development techniques
- Interest in large scale data mining and big data.
- Experience with technologies with Rules based systems and Machine learning
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.