Our team provides the tools, training, and situational awareness for all engineering teams across Amazon to develop their teams, foster collaboration and inclusivity, and drive continuous improvement. Our works lies at the at the confluence of software development, machine learning, and business intelligence. We use data and machine learning to identify architectural bottlenecks in our systems, improve software hygiene and raise velocity of our software teams. Amazon engineering teams depend on our data, tools, and educational resources to ensure the security, availability, and accessibility of their services.
As a Data Engineer you gather and understand data requirements, build consensus around business logic and data pipeline design with your team, and work to achieve high quality data ingestion goals. You will be building systems that deal with huge amounts of data in a reliable, accurate and expedient manner. You must have a passion for learning and diving deep into complex problems, and enjoy the challenge of operating mission critical systems.
Successful candidates come from a strong data engineering background. You have experience with structured and unstructured data sources, and are able to analyze/transform the data using various tools. In addition to SQL, which is a strong requirement, understanding of a high-level programming language is critical.
· 3+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
· Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
· Experience in SQL
· Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or a related technical discipline
· 4+ years of industry experience in software development, data engineering, business intelligence, data science, or related field with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets
· Experience using big data technologies (Hadoop, Hive, HBase, Spark, EMR, etc.)
· Knowledge of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
· Knowledge of distributed systems as it pertains to data storage and computing
· 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer, BI Engineer, Business/Financial Analyst or Systems Analyst in a company with large, complex data sources.
· Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
· Experience working with AWS big data technologies (EMR, Redshift, S3)
· Demonstrated strength in data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
· Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy
· Experience providing technical leadership and mentoring other engineers for best practices on data engineering
· Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.