Alexa Smart Home is focused on making Alexa the voice-activated user interface for the home. Alexa helps fulfill many customer needs, from home security and entertainment to providing information and shopping – all using just your voice. Alexa works with many smart home devices – customers can ask her to switch on a lamp, turn on the fan, dim the lights, or increase the temperature. We are evolving Alexa into an intelligent, indispensable companion that automates daily routines, simplifies interaction with appliances and electronics, and alerts when something unusual is detected.
The Smart Home Decision Science team provides decision guidance for the Smart Home organization by delivering analytics that influence business decisions. This role will be responsible for building models that analyze and predict customer behaviors, owns project delivery and ongoing performance optimization. This role will also work closely with diverse teams across Alexa including Customer Research, Product Owners, Engineering Teams, Marketing and Finance.
The Smart Home Decision Science (SHDS) team combines the power of Smart Home BI engineering resources with Data Science to provide org-wide customer insights analytics. The team’s charter includes: 1) ownership of data infrastructure and data models, 2) self-service data services, 3) business reporting (e.g. xBRs, dashboards) and 4) exploratory data analysis, statistical modeling and machine learning algorithms to deliver customer insights analytics.
· 5+ years of experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
· 4+ years working as a Data Scientist
· Bachelor or Master's degree in highly quantitative field (CS, machine learning, mathematics, statistics) or equivalent experience.
· Experience applying various machine learning techniques, and understanding the key parameters that affect their performance.
· Experience developing experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, and the ability to accurately determine cause and effect relationships.
· Have a history of building systems that capture and utilize large data sets in order to quantify performance via metrics or KPIs.
· Understanding of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc.* Experienced in using multiple data science methodologies to solve complex business problems.
· Experienced in handling large data sets using SQL and databases in a business environment.
· Excellent verbal and written communication.
· Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
· Thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
· Master's degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or a related quantitative field with at least 5+ years of working experience as a Data Scientist.
· Experienced in writing academic-styled papers for presenting both the methodologies used and results for data science projects.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.