Amazon is the 4th most popular site in the US (http://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/US). Our product search engine is one of the most heavily used services in the world, indexes billions of products, and serves hundreds of millions of customers world-wide. We are working on a new AI-first initiative to re-architect and reinvent the way we do search through the use of extremely large scale next-generation deep learning techniques. Our goal is to make step function improvements in the use of advanced Machine Learning (ML) on very large scale datasets, specifically through the use of aggressive systems engineering and hardware accelerators. This is a rare opportunity to develop cutting edge ML solutions and apply them to a problem of this magnitude. Some exciting questions that we expect to answer over the next few years include:
· Can a focus on compilers and custom hardware help us accelerate model training and reduce hardware costs?
· Can combining supervised multi-task training with unsupervised training help us to improve model accuracy?
· Can we transfer our knowledge of the customer to every language and every locale ? The Search Science team is looking for a Senior Applied Science Manager to drive roadmap on making large business impact through application of Deep Learning models via close collaboration with partner teams. The team also has a focus on technology solution for deep-learning based embedding generation, sensitive data ingestion and applications, data quality measurement, improvement, data bias identification and reduction to achieve model fairness.
Success in this role will require the courage to chart a new course. You will manage your own team to understand all aspects of the customer journey. You and your team will inform other scientists and engineers by providing insights and building models to help improving training data quality and reducing bias. The research focus includes but not limited to Natural Language Processing, recommendation, applications relevant to Amazon buyers, sellers and more. You will be working with cutting edge technologies that enable big data and parallelizable algorithms. You will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and working closely with software development teams to put solutions into production.
· PhD degree with 8+ years of applied research experience or a Master's degree and 10+ years of experience of applied research experience
· Extensive experience in building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· Masters in quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
· Proven track record hiring and leading experienced scientists as well as a successful record of developing junior members to a successful career track
· Management experience for working on cross-functional projects
· A PhD in a quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, or equivalent)
· 5+ years of experience managing Machine Learning Scientists, Data Scientists, Research Scientists, and Applied Scientists
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Ability to manage and quantify improvement in data quality on Deep Learning model performance from research outcomes
· Proven achievements of developing and managing a long-term research vision and portfolio of research initiatives, with algorithms and models that have been successfully integrated in production systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.