The AWS Documentation team is hiring a senior manager for our machine learning team. In this role, you’ll help lead our efforts to create and enhance the documentation, tutorials, and examples for AWS DeepRacer.
You’ll be responsible for developing and growing the writers on your team. The writers document new services, and new features for existing services; improve existing documentation; and manage feedback loops with customers. As a technical leader, you’ll set the standard for excellence for our documentation, ensuring that we deliver technically accurate, well-written, simple, and customer-focused documentation. You’ll help set and be expected to deliver on goals for documenting new features and services, as well as improving the quality of existing documentation. You’ll also be expected to work with the AWS engineering teams on shared goals and efforts.
The ideal candidates have both a technical background that enables them to easily interact with software development engineers, product managers, and technical program managers, and a demonstrated ability to deliver high-quality technical publications.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
The AWS Documentation team writes and provides support for a diverse audience consisting of developers, DevOps professionals, IT professionals, technical program managers, and scientists. We have both the technical background and the writing background that enable our team to deliver high-quality technical documentation. On behalf of our customers, we do much more than just write the docs. We innovate, we research, we learn, and we experiment. We collaborate with product managers to understand our customers’ needs. We partner with software developers to learn the inner workings of AWS services so that we can influence design and the customer experience. We know that what we do makes a difference in the successful adoption and implementation of AWS services.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you, based on factors such as location, job family, and job level. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
AWS has the most services, and more features within those services, than any other cloud provider–from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases–to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether it's identity features, such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional or military experience
- At least 8 years of technical experience
- At least 3 years of people management experience
- At least 3 years of programming experience with Python, R, C++, Matlab, or another modern programming language used in ML or data science
- Knowledge and experience with cloud infrastructure/architecture and distributed systems
- Experience managing content strategy, content creation, and content metrics
- Experience using content publishing tools to write, format, manage, and publish technical content on the web
- Experience being part of large-scale software development projects
- Experience contributing to open source projects
- Experience using Git/GitHub
- Knowledge of machine learning practices
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering, physics, computer science, mathematics, or equivalent professional or military experience
- Expertise in ML algorithms, computer vision, NLP, RL, or related field
- Knowledge and experience with data science practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Previous experience working in an agile software development environment a plus
- Ideas and know-how to create modern, cutting-edge content for our AWS customers
- Experience working directly with engineering teams
- Strong grammar skills
- Strong attention to detail
- A proactive and open-minded attitude toward resolving issues and delivering results
- Passion to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.