WW Installments is one of the fastest growing businesses within Amazon and we are looking for an Economist to join the team. This group has been entrusted with a massive charter that will impact every customer that visits Amazon.com. We are building the next generation of features and payment products that maximize customer enablement in a simple, transparent, and customer obsessed way. Through these products, we will deliver value directly to Amazon customers improving the shopping experience for hundreds of millions of customers worldwide. Our mission is to delight our customers by building payment experiences and financial services that are trusted, valued, and easy to use from anywhere in any way.
Economists at Amazon are solving some of the most challenging applied economics questions in the tech sector. Amazon economists apply the frontier of economic thinking to market design, pricing, forecasting, program evaluation, online advertising and other areas. Our economists build econometric models using our world class data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast-moving environment. A career at Amazon affords economists the opportunity to work with data of unparalleled quality, apply rigorous applied econometric approaches, and work with some of the most talented applied econometricians in the trade.
As the Economist within WW Installments, you will be responsible for building long-term causal inference models and experiments. These analysis represent a core capability for WW Installments and businesses across Amazon. Your work will directly impact customers by influencing how objective functions are designed and which inputs are consumed for modeling. You will work across functions including machine learning, business intelligence, data engineering, software development, and finance to induce data driven decisions at every level of the organization.
Key job responsibilities
This role will be responsible for:
• Developing a causal inference and experimentation roadmap for the WW Installments Competitive Pricing team.
• Apply expertise in causal and econometric modeling to develop large-scale systems that are deployed across Amazon businesses.
• Identify business opportunities, define and execute modeling approach, then deliver outcomes to various Amazon businesses with an Amazon-wide perspective for solutions.
• Lead the project plan from a scientific perspective on product launches including identifying potential risks, key milestones, and paths to mitigate risks
• Own key inputs to reports consumed by VPs and Directors across Amazon.
• Identifying new opportunities to influence business strategy and product vision using causal inference.
• Continually improve the WW Installments experimentation roadmap automating and simplifying whenever possible.
• Coordinate support across engineers, scientists, and stakeholders to deliver analytical projects and build proof of concept applications.
• Work through significant business and technical ambiguity delivering on analytics roadmap across the team with autonomy.
• PhD in Economics
• Experience conducting experiments and causal inference studies in a business context.
• 3+ years of industry experience applying econometric models in a business context.
• Experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment.
• Expertise on a broad set of ML approaches and techniques including ensembling, neural networks, and non-parametric methods.
• Expert in more than one more major programming languages (Java, C++ or similar) and at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, or similar)
• Strong fundamentals in data structures, problem solving, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
• Ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations.
• Ability to work effectively within an interdisciplinary team of Data Scientists, Economists, BIEs, Data Engineers, and Product Managers.
• Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in relevant field.
• Experience in payment products, recommendation engines, and risk modeling.
• 1+ year hands-on experience programming in Python, R, or Julia.
• Knowledge of SQL for ETLM operations.
• Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources
• Proficiency in model development, model validation and model implementation for large-scale applications.
• Excellent communication (verbal/written) and data presentation skills and demonstrated ability to successfully partner with business and technical teams.
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives in a fast-paced environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.