Can Alexa help anyone experience the music they enjoy? Even if they don't know what they'd like to listen to in this moment? Or, if they know they want “Happy rock from the 90s”, can she help them find it?
Your machine learning skills can help make that a reality on the Amazon Music team. We are seeking an Applied Scientist who will join a team of experts in the field of machine learning, and work together to break new ground in the world of understanding and classifying different forms of music, and creating interactive experiences to help users find the music they are in the mood for. We work on machine learning problems for music classification, recommender systems, dialogue systems, NLP, and music information retrieval.
Key job responsibilities
You'll work in a collaborative environment where you can pursue ambitious, long-term research, with many peta-bytes of data, work on problems that haven’t been solved before, quickly implement and deploy your algorithmic ideas at scale, understand whether they succeed via statistically relevant experiments across millions of customers, and publish your research. You'll see the work you do directly improve the experience of Amazon Music customers on Alexa/Echo, mobile, and web.
The successful candidate will have a PhD in Computer Science with a strong focus on machine learning, or a related field, and 4+ years of practical experience applying ML to solve complex problems in recommender systems, information retrieval, signal processing, NLP or dialogue systems. Great if you have a passion for music, but this is not a requirement.
About the team
Amazon Music reimagines music listening by enabling customers to unlock millions of songs and thousands of curated playlists and stations with their voice. Amazon Music provides unlimited access to new releases and classic hits across iOS and Android mobile devices, PC, Mac, Echo, and Alexa-enabled devices including Fire TV and more. With Amazon Music, Prime members have access to ad-free listening of 2 million songs at no additional cost to their membership. Listeners can also enjoy the premium subscription service, Amazon Music Unlimited, which provides access to more than 75 million songs and the latest new releases. Amazon Music Unlimited customers also now have access to the highest-quality listening experience available, with more than 75 million songs available in High Definition (HD), more than 7 million songs in Ultra HD, and a growing catalog of spatial audio. Customers also have free access to an ad-supported selection of top playlists and stations on Amazon Music. All Amazon Music tiers now offer a wide selection of podcasts at no additional cost, and live streaming in partnership with Twitch. Engaging with music and culture has never been more natural, simple, and fun. For more information, visit amazonmusic.com or download the Amazon Music app.
- PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
- 3+ years of experience in building machine learning models for business application
- Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
- Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives;
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, deep learning, NLP, recommendation systems, dialogue systems, information retrieval;
- Track record of scientific publications in premier journals and conferences;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Experience handling gigabyte and terabyte size datasets;
- Skilled with Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as with R, MATLAB, Python or similar scripting language;
- Professional experience in software development (software design and development life cycle);
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.