Amazon has come a long way since opening on the World Wide Web in July 1995. Today, we operate retail websites in multiple countries across geographies, offering products in many categories (books, media, digital, electronics etc.) worldwide, and we still like to work hard, have fun and make history! The Amazon.com brand has become synonymous with a superior level of convenience, selection, low prices, and customer service. We have over 130 million active customers as of 2010.
Software Development Engineers – Worldwide Transportation Engineering @ Hyderabad, India
Amazon’s global fulfillment network enables any merchant in any of the geography ship items that you order on Amazon, to any place on earth. There are a variety of ways in which we can acquire items from vendors to our warehouses, ship items from one location to another, and several intermediate locations through which the package travels before reaching the customer. There are millions of such packages, each with different attributes, and different delivery requirements. What results is a highly dense graph of source, intermediate and destination nodes, with arcs between them representing possible paths for packages, with different costs and times along each arc. Accounting for all these constraints, and maximizing the number of shipments shipped, while minimizing cost, providing a variety of delivery options and maximizing delivery performance is Transportation Engineering's primary focus.
In 2006, Amazon started building Technology teams at Hyderabad to support the growth in the global fulfillment and transportation network. We have built a world class Software engineering team which is focused on solving some of the complex problems in worldwide Transportation using workflows, optimization algorithms, machine learning systems etc. These are large scale distributed systems handling millions of packages being shipped through our network
We are looking for software engineers minimum of 3+ years of solid Software engineering experience involving solving complex problems. They will get to work on some of the key initiatives planned to support our rapid evolution and growth of the transportation network and in the process solve some of the most challenging problems. These engineers will provide the technical leadership to the team, drive best practices, mentor other engineers and drive continuous improvements in engineering excellence.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
Key Responsibilities include:-
- Ability to design and code right solutions starting with well defined problems,
- Drive best practices and engineering excellence
- Development of code in Java/C++ and build large scale robust distributed systems
- Bachelor or Master in computer science.
- 0-2 years experience building successful production software systems
- A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced, agile and in an ownership and results oriented culture.
- Programming experience in Java and frameworks such as JEE/Spring/Hibernate
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to learn new languages and technologies quickly
- Experience in communicating with business teams, other development teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Knowledge of AWS/Cloud technologies.