The Alexa Artificial Intelligence (AI) organization has a mission to invent AI capabilities to complete customer interactions naturally and without any friction, anytime, anywhere. In Alexa AI, we build world-class conversational reasoning that enables Alexa to anticipate and accomplish customers’ tasks through context-aware, multi-turn, and multi-skill experiences.
Key job responsibilities
We are looking for a passionate, talented, and resourceful Applied Scientist in the field of Natural Language Processing (NLP) or Dialogue Management, to invent and build scalable solutions for a state-of-the-art context-aware speech assistant. A successful candidate will have strong machine learning background and a desire to push the envelope in NLP, Natural Language Understanding (NLU), and Dialog Management. The ideal candidate would also enjoy operating in dynamic environments, have the self-motivation to take on challenging problems to deliver big customer impact, and move fast to ship solutions and then iterate on user feedback and interactions.
A day in the life
As an Applied Scientist, you will leverage your technical expertise and experience to tackle large complex problems, and collaborate with scientists and engineers to develop novel algorithms and modeling techniques to reduce friction and enable natural and contextual conversation. Your work will directly impact our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology. You will leverage Amazon’s heterogeneous data sources and large-scale computing resources to accelerate advances in spoken language understanding.
- PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
- 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
- Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
- PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Mathematics, or related field with specialization in speech recognition, natural language processing, or machine learning
- Publications at peer-reviewed research conferences (e.g. ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, NeurIPS, ICLR, ICML, AAAI)
- 3+ years experience in building natural language processing systems
- Solid ML background and familiar with standard NLU and ML techniques
- Scientific thinking and the ability to invent, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
- Solid software development experience
- Good written and spoken communication skills
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.