Interested in Amazon Alexa, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence? We’re building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Alexa and other Amazon products and services. Come join us!
The Alexa AI Natural Language Understanding org in India is seeking a talented, self-directed Software Development Engineer to help us pioneering new machine learning tools and processes through an iterative research and development cycle. You will build scalable, self-serve applications for use across the Alexa Machine Learning organization. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy as you work with a small team of subject matter experts and engineers to define features, system architecture, best practices. You will work with the other engineers on the team to execute our technical vision and create a world class product.
Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can dive into a project with limited guidance and is able to design and implement inventive, simple solutions to complex problems. He or she will be passionate about new technologies and have a track record of delivering valuable software features and products in a fast-paced, highly iterative environment. A commitment to team work, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements.
Key job responsibilities
· Responsible for the design, development and maintenance of key UIs, backend components and APIs
· Will work with business and technical stakeholders to determine end-to-end system design and overall technical strategy.
· Will work with a Front End Engineer to connect backend components to engaging, user-tested UIs
· Will work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility.
· Will work in an Agile/Scrum environment to regularly deliver high quality software that has a measurable customer value
A day in the life
You will work on design, implementation and maintenance of the various UIs and services owned by our team. You will work with internal stakeholders to determine their needs and how our team can solve them. You will work with the other engineers in the org to execute our technical vision and create a world class product. You will diagnose are resolve issues in the workflows to unblock users. You will have significant influence on the overall strategy as you work with a small team of subject matter experts and engineers to define features, system architecture, best practices.
About the team
We are part of a global team of Engineers, Scientists, Computational Linguists, and Product/Program Managers. Our customers are internal users who are build Natural Language Understanding capabilities for Alexa in all languages. Our goal is to simplify and automate the development process so users can make complex changes simply and quickly.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· Bachelor's degree in computer science related fields OR 1+ years equivalent experience in software development
· Bachelor's degree or completion of Bachelor's degree requirements in a STEM related field such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, tech
· Proficiency in one of the following languages: Java, C++, or C
· Previous technical internship(s)
· Experience with distributed, multi-tiered systems, algorithms, and relational databases
· Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
· Adept at handling ambiguous or undefined problems as well as ability to think abstractly