At Amazon Web Services (AWS), Security is job zero. Our team, part of Access management services organization with AWS Security, is responsible for inventing and simplifying features and services for applying preventative access controls at Amazon’s massive scale. Our team owns and operates standardized access management services that all Amazon organizations (including Amazon Retail, WW Operations, Alexa and AWS) rely on for managing ownership and permissions to their physical and digital resources. Our customers make thousands of authorization checks per second for over 15MM resources that are managed in our systems at sub second latency. And our systems provide visibility into and enforce regular reviews of the access grants to enable Amazon and AWS organizations to fulfill their complex audit and compliance requirements. Specifically, we are building internal systems that process large data sets that describe the dynamic internal systems, convert that data to actionable information, and automatically apply security controls.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to design and build large scale, highly impactful Permissions and Access Management Systems with company-wide reach. There is ample opportunity to innovate and deliver high impact outcomes. You will collaborate with the leadership team to drive key engineering and business decisions that will influence the Amazon developer experience. You will contribute to all parts of the software development and deployment lifecycle across the entire Amazon development community, including design, implementation, documentation, testing, deployment and operations across multiple products. Successful candidates for this position will have strong software engineering fundamentals (object-oriented design, algorithms and data structures) and a good grasp of advanced systems concepts and design. They must possess strong verbal and written communication skills, be self-driven and deliver high quality results in a fast paced environment. They also need to really enjoy diving deep to disambiguate customer requirements, ask questions, and challenge the status quo.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer that is obsessed about preserving customer trust by raising the security bar for access controls at Amazon. If you are a highly skilled engineer with a passion for security that loves to build user friendly features and services to make security and innovation simultaneous for product teams across all Amazon organizations, Come build with us!
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
· 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
· 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 4+ years of professional software development experience
· 2+ years of experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
· 7+ years professional experience in software development
· 3+ years experience in computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, databases and knowledge of at least one DB technology such as SQL, Document based DB, or Key-Value datastores, and algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
· 3+ years knowledge of, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or Perl
· Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Experience with cloud services, distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
· Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
· Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
· Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
· Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.