Amazon has come a long way since opening on the World Wide Web in July 1995. Today, we operate retail websites in multiple countries across geographies, offering products in many categories (books, media, digital, electronics etc.) worldwide, and we still like to work hard, have fun and make history! The Amazon.com brand has become synonymous with a superior level of convenience, selection, low prices, and customer service.
Amazon’s global fulfillment network enables any merchant in any of the geography ship items that you order on Amazon, to any place on earth. There are a variety of ways in which we can acquire items from vendors to our warehouses, ship items from one location to another, and several intermediate locations through which the package travels before reaching the customer. There are millions of such packages, each with different attributes, and different delivery requirements. What results is a highly dense graph of source, intermediate and destination nodes, with arcs between them representing possible paths for packages, with different costs and times along each arc. Accounting for all these constraints, and maximizing the number of shipments shipped, while minimizing cost, providing a variety of delivery options and maximizing delivery performance is Transportation Engineering's primary focus.
One of the key aspect of our Transportation is our 3P carrier partners which take and deliver the package to our customers on behalf of Amazon based on the promise we made. Today we have more than 300 3P carriers integrated into our system and we are still growing. Each year the number of carriers integrated are increasing by 30% YOY. To enable us to scale to the demand and to replace a multitude of manual processes and tools across all our Transportation systems, we are building a new product "Passport".
Passport is aimed at self serving the overall 3P carrier on-boarding and on-going business interactions without any manual effort required. The product development started in 2020 and we are now expanding the scope of the product into key use-cases such as externalizing the overal product to our 3P customers etc. As part of the same we are building new platform services and we are actively looking out for SDEs to drive these products by collaborating with our stakeholders, partner teams and direct 3P carriers.
Please refer to below broadcast to know more about our product Passport:
We are looking for a passionate, hard-working, and talented Software Development Engineer who can build innovative & mission critical system software applications & tools. You will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and development of consumer products. You will be responsible for delivery and support of large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software applications and tools.Responsibilities :
· · Ability to design and code right solutions starting with broadly defined problems.
· · Drive best practices and engineering excellence.
· · Work with other team members to develop the architecture and design of new and current systems.
· · Work in an agile environment to deliver high quality software.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills (C/C++ and/or Java preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform)
· Knowledge of Perl or other scripting languages a plus
· Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
· Experience in optimization mathematics (linear programming, nonlinear optimization)
· Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
· Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
· Previous technical internship(s) preferred