We are looking for passionate and talented software engineers who are keen to build innovative, critical, high-volume applications that our customers love. Our team strives to facilitate global transactions and delight our customers with simple, accurate, and robust payment tools and solutions.
AbeBooks’ mission is “to help people find and buy any book from any bookseller”. As a part of this mission, we work daily to help customers discover our marketplace and the millions of books available from thousands of booksellers. This is challenging and equally rewarding for a truly global marketplace for rare and collectable books. We feel proud to provide a seamless experience to buyers from over 200 countries purchasing products from sellers representing over 60 countries. Our sites get millions of page views every day, and we promote millions of books across several marketing channels. We like to think we know what we’re doing, and we’re always keen on learning and improving.
You are a technical leader with a proven track record of successful delivery. You are someone who will enjoy the challenge of working on complex systems and full-stack technologies. You have a strong sense of ownership and customer focus and enjoy building software that brings smiles to our customers. You persevere when troubleshooting issues and enjoy working in a collaborative team setting. You have a growth mindset and are always looking to learn new things.
Key job responsibilities
- Work with the team to help solve business problems
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, durability, cost, and security
- Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all of the team deliverables
- Analyze and simplify software applications by collecting product and system metrics and proposing solutions
- Own tasks end-to-end from requirements gathering through to delivery and monitoring
About the team
We own the payment services integration for AbeBooks, an Amazon subsidiary. AbeBooks provides a marketplace for hundreds of millions of items that includes everything from exquisite manuscripts and long lost books from your childhood, to postcards from Mohandas Gandhi and signed first editions of “A Farewell to Arms”. We work closely with Amazon teams and Amazon technologies (especially AWS) as we take advantage of the capabilities of our parent company. AbeBooks is located in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia and offers competitive salaries, a generous benefits package, and a beautiful waterfront office space.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related technical discipline
- 3+ years of experience in software design and development
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Ability to code in Java using object-oriented programming best practices
- Strong sense of ownership and customer obsession
- Desire to work in a collaborative, team setting
Experience with the following would be beneficial:
- AWS services and infrastructure
- Devops tools and culture
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.