Are you looking for a challenge? Imagine being part of a team that owns one of the largest supply chain simulation systems in the world to predict inventory flows for the millions of items available on Amazon.com worldwide. Inventory planning involves many algorithms to buy inventory in the right quantities, at the right frequencies, from the right vendors, and assigning to the best warehouse to fulfill customer demand to optimize long term free cash flow for Amazon. Our system lives at the heart of these algorithms, keeping up with the rapid pace of optimization improvements and simulating how they interact with each other. We simulate what these systems will do for months into the future, predicting inventory flows and key operational and financial metrics across the network. This experimentation platform is critical in understanding labor needs, managing our network capacity, and allowing continued optimizations to the many algorithms we simulate. Imagine enabling Amazon's supply chain systems to make data driven decisions based on simulations of trillions of inventory events per day.
Every time an Amazon customer makes a purchase, a number of systems are involved: these systems help optimize inventory acquisition, enable a number of purchase options, ensure great pricing, store products so they are available for fast delivery, and minimize package frustration. The Supply Chain Optimization Technology (SCOT) Group develops and manages these systems. We are central to Amazon customers' ability to find what they want and get it when they want it. Within SCOT, the SimEx (Simulation and Experimentation) team is responsible for designing and executing the simulations and experiments that measure the impact of SCOT initiatives, as well as predicting inventory flows for labor planning.
The SimEx team is looking for an experienced, self-driven, analytical, and thoughtful Data Engineer. You will design and support systems that generate multi-billion dollar predictions of the highest level of visibility and importance to the highest business leaders in SCOT. In this role, you will be working in one of the world's largest and most complex data warehouse environments. You should be passionate about working with large, complex datasets and be someone who loves to bring data together in a scalable manner to answer business questions and extract meaningful business insights through collaboration with Business Intelligence Engineers (BIEs), Software Development Engineers (SDEs), and Data Scientists. You will have ownership of end-to-end development of data engineering solutions to complex questions and you’ll play an integral role in strategic decision-making.
As a Data Engineer in the SimEx team, you will work with AWS technologies such as Redshift, EC2, S3, EMR, Hive, Kinesis, SNS/SQS, and you will enable the team to leverage dashboarding tools for self-service analytics and science platforms for data science.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field or 3+ years industry experience.
- 3+ years of experience with demonstrated strength in ETL/ELT, data modeling, data warehouse technical architecture.
- Expert-level skills in writing and optimizing SQL.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in writing complex, highly-optimized SQL queries across large data sets.
- 2+ years of experience in scripting languages like etc.
- Experience with Big Data technologies such as Hive/Spark, AWS EMR, AWS Glue, AWS Lambda , Kinesis, Redshift.
- Experience leading and influencing the data strategy of your team or organization
- Master’s or Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Industry experience as a Data Engineer or related speciality (e.g., Software Engineer, Business Intelligence Engineer, Data Scientist) with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
- Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets
- Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources
- Experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, including using AWS technologies – Redshift, S3, EC2, etc.
- Knowledge of Engineering and Operational Excellence using standard methodologies.
- Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of coworkers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.