As a Systems Development Engineer, you will ensure that our AWS infrastructure is designed and built to the highest standards required to maintain and enhance customer trust.
- Provide architectural reviews, risk analyses, and security reviews of many elements of AbeBooks.
- Review vulnerability scan results and plan remediations with development teams
- Define patterns and build tools to solve common infrastructure management tasks across development teams.
- Be surrounded by smart and approachable colleagues, all while living in beautiful Victoria, British Columbia.
Key job responsibilities
- Provide security and AWS architecture support to all development teams
- Develop tools to create new infrastructure and application stacks
- Develop tools to support infrastructure upgrades and migrations
- Triage organization-wide security tickets and work with development teams to resolve issues according to risk.
- Build continuous integration pipelines for select third-party corporate applications
- Participate in on-call rotation responsible for site-wide security incidents and team-owned infrastructure
A day in the life
- Triage inbound security and change request tickets
- Participate in security and architectural reviews
- Maintain network links between development team services in AWS
- Migrate team services to AWS
- Maintain diminishing on-premises hardware footprint
About the team
AbeBooks offers competitive salaries, a generous benefits package, and a beautiful waterfront office space.
What really makes us stand out is the world-class team of people that you get to work with every day. We trust our employees because we only hire the best. We want people who are prepared to challenge the status quo and always raise the bar. And we do all this while having fun and enjoying the tranquility of island life.
Apply today, and learn more about why you should join our award-winning workplace.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems, or equivalent
- At least 3 years of experience in a software development, systems engineering, or systems administration role
- Experience in deploying and supporting web and multi-tier applications in a 24x7 production environment
- AWS infrastructure automation using CloudFormation and the Python AWS API SDK
- AWS design patterns for service-oriented architectures
- Web services security
- Java and Python coding skills
- Troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Linux system administration
- Working knowledge of network protocols
- Demonstrated skill and passion for operational automation
- Continuous integration pipelines using the AWS Cloud Development Kit
- Serverless application development with AWS Lambda and Fargate
- Experience defining engineering best practices
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.