Alexa is Amazon’s voice-first AI present in over 100 million Alexa-enabled devices. As devices continue to integrate more deeply into our lives, Alexa Human Effects (HumanFX) seeks to raise the bar of what is considered a compelling customer experience. We are a paradigm-changing, generative practice that investigates intrinsic anatomical, biomechanical, neurological, perceptual, and cultural parameters, and codifies this intelligence into Alexa hardware, software, and wetware. We are looking for a HumanFX Design Principal to define, design and deliver new magical Alexa Devices and experience.
The HumanFX Design Principal will report to the Head of Research and Design, HumanFX drive the right outcomes by deeply understand the customer problems, business requirements, goals, and success metrics. The HumanFX Design Principal designs groundbreaking experiences that visually provoke and captivate. They work across voice, visual and gesture interfaces to craft holistic solutions for your customers that span the entire customer journey and are an empathic and optimistic teammate who flourishes when collaborating closely with other disciplines and partners. The ideal candidate will thrive on the challenge of collaborating across multiple disciplines to drive new intuitive customer experiences while balancing complex and competing priorities.
Key job responsibilities
In this role you will work across the entire Alexa devices team, supporting our biggest projects, defining and tracking our goals. You will lead new creative and holistic thinking across diverse product releases, platforms, and devices; drive the direction, style, and methodology of design and accessibility; Define and develop the vision for innovative new solutions, solving some of our toughest; Champion cohesion in design that unites a growing family of programs and features, while continuing to deliver and evangelize a fervent culture of invention; and Lead cross-team conceptual development; being a strategic thought leader in how to implement unmatched experiences that represent the most customer-centric intersection between design, business, content, and technology.
If you are excited about modeling human obsessed excellence in design, while growing and developing fellow designers and working within an inspiring HumanFX team, we'd love to meet you.
* 10+ years as a user experience designer, interaction designer, or similar role
* Experience designing large-scale systems and applications
* A strong portfolio of innovative, customer-centric design work that demonstrates proficiency in interaction and visual design
* Proficiency in design tools such as Sketch, Axure, Photoshop, Illustrator, or similar
* Bachelor’s, or equivalent degree, in Design, HCI, or related field or equivalent professional experience with the design field.
* Experience leading full life cycle design projects, from design strategy through execution and market introduction.
* Fluency in best practices for User Interface Design, Information Architecture, and Interaction Design; practical knowledge of User Centered Design processes and lifecycles; ability to provide and effectively communicate strategic and tactical recommendations based on quantitative/qualitative data and optimal Design practices.
* Comprehensive knowledge of the latest design concepts, emerging technologies, and other developments in the user experience field.
* Effectiveness in working across organizational boundaries to influence and deliver results.
* Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
* Able to translate concepts into concrete depictions to clarify ideas and advance collaboration based on shared understanding.
* Talent for crafting imaginative and innovative design solutions while maintaining user expectations through pattern consistency and interaction harmony.
* Strong bias for action including the ability to juggle multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast paced, dynamic environment
* Willing to roll up the sleeves to meet business and product deliverables
* Passion for the role of design within an organization and the ability to develop and mentor design talent
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.