Amazon is looking for a book publicist to support Amazon Publishing, a leading trade publisher of fiction, nonfiction, and children’s picture books, with imprints including Mindy’s Book Studio, Thomas & Mercer, and Lake Union. The team’s mission is to connect authors to the widest audience possible and your role would be to plan and execute publicity campaigns to drive successful book launches and build author brands. This role requires effective written and communication skills, a commitment to building dynamic relationships with media, and a collaborative attitude with both internal teams and authors. The position is for someone who is passionate about books and reading, and working with authors.
This role can be based in New York, NY, Seattle, WA, or Arlington, VA.
Key job responsibilities
- Develop and manage the execution of book publicity campaigns to drive broad awareness
- Write press materials, and pitch and secure top national and local media, including print, broadcast and online outlets
- Build and maintain relationships with key publishing media to secure book coverage, correct inaccuracies, and develop feature stories
- Work collaboratively across teams, including editorial, marketing and promotional teams on publicity strategy from acquisition to publication
- Consult with internal teams to help guide best practices and develop playbooks
- Proactively recommend creative solutions and mechanisms to improve author experience and publicity results
- 5+ years of book publicity experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Superior communication and presentation skills
- High judgment, particularly in narrow time frames
- Ability to collaborate and deliver toward team goals
- Ability to communicate with internal stakeholder teams and efficiently manage and problem solve any challenges that arise
- Ability to multitask and productively self-direct in a deadline-oriented environment
- Commitment to elevating authors’ publishing experience
- Love of books and reading
Inclusive Team Culture Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Mentorship and Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.