Imagine you’re working on cutting-edge consumer-facing products with an agile team. Your ideas and recommendations have the potential to reach millions and every single team member is a critical voice in the decision-making process. Envision being able to leverage the resources of a Fortune-500 company within the atmosphere of a start-up. Welcome to Amazon Music, where ideas are born and come to life as Amazon Music Unlimited, Prime Music, Amazon Music for Artists, and so much more.
Our team is focused on building a personalized, curated, and seamless music and podcast listening experience. We want to help our customers discover up-and-coming artists and podcast series while also having access to their favorite established musicians and creators. We build experiences that are distributed on a large scale, spanning our apps, web, and voice-forward audio engagement on mobile and Amazon Echo devices, powered by Alexa to support our customer base. Amazon Music offerings are available in countries around the world, and our applications support our mission of delivering music and podcasts to customers in new and exciting ways that enhance their day-to-day lives.
Key job responsibilities
- Be the UX Research lead for projects across a range of platforms (voice, visual) that touch numerous aspects of the Amazon Music experience.
- Run end to end UX research (i.e., user interviews, remote usability testing, surveys, card sort, tree tests, etc) with a particular focus on customer experience improvements.
- Create scalable and repeatable process and technical solutions to allow UX Research to scale
- Select, consult with, and manage research projects with vendors (i.e. assessing proposals, budget considerations, contracts, etc)
- Work from high-level requirements and ask the right questions to gather all relevant information to guide research approach.
- Collaborate with other insights teams such as Consumer Insights, Beta, Digital Benchmarking to align research findings and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Drive research for existing experiences while also identifying opportunities for the future product development.
- Stay current on emerging research, industry, and technology trends.
- Collaborate on and present work to a range of stakeholders – executives, engineers, product managers, business leaders, UX and visual designers, and other researchers.
A day in the life
Everyone on our team has a meaningful impact on product features, new directions in music and podcast streaming, and customer and creator engagement. As we continue to grow, we are looking for a talented Sr. UX Researcher to play a vital role in shaping Amazon Music.
As a Sr. UX Researcher on this team, you will help lead UX Research for a variety of projects. You’ll drive foundation research to explore listener and creator needs and identify opportunities for innovation. You’ll keep up on trends and execute tactical user research - utilizing both qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
You will be working from high-level requirements to define research projects with vendors, drive various usability tests, and formulate insights and recommendations in collaboration with UX designers, business leaders, engineers, and product managers. The team will look to your expertise to run different types of qualitative and quantitative research to identify opportunities to improve the customer experience. To be successful you must be a critical, inventive thinker with proven research chops, have a strong attention to detail, excitement for understanding and using data, and an ability to communicate your ideas effectively. You must be able to connect the insights of our customer voices.
About the team
UX Research is part of Amazon Music Research & Beta, or R&B for short. We are embedded within the Design team, alongside Creative Studio, Brand, and Product Design. Our key focus is understanding the customer experience, identifying key areas of opportunity and innovation, and validating ideas and product solutions - globally.
- 7+ years experience conducting user research in a growing software development, content development, entertainment, or equivalent.
- 2+ years of experience leading project delivery for large, cross functional projects
- BA/BS in psychology, sociology, anthropology, human computer interaction or related discipline.
- Working knowledge in mixed-method (qualitative and quantitative) research
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills including the ability to present design concepts clearly and persuasively to colleagues, partners and stakeholders
- A postgraduate (Masters or PhD) degree in Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Interaction Design, Cognitive Psychology, Cognitive Science, or related field.
- Experience in consumer software, digital entertainment, or related field
- UX Research experience in non-US markets.
- Solid understanding of the product development cycle, and the relationship between business, UX, technology and the role of user research.
- A passion for music, podcasts, and digital entertainment.
- Ability to work efficiently and demonstrate a bias for action in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Lead UX Researcher for medium to large projects that present multidisciplinary challenges and span multiple platforms and departments
- Experience creating repeatable, scalable research methods
- Experience demonstrating ownership of projects and communicating timelines, executing independently
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.