Amazon Web Services is seeking a Jr. Electrical Engineer to become part of a global engineering team, responsible for the design and continuous innovation of our rapidly expanding data center foot print.
Engineers at Amazon work to design resilient, cost effective electrical distribution systems. As engineers at Amazon we are responsible for achieving a world class uptime for our customers. We justify and communicate the technical decisions we make to Sr. Management and work hard to drive continuous advancements and improvements with our designs. As an engineer at Amazon you have the ability to drive change and define/design the systems our customers rely on.
Amazon offers a fast paced, fun, and exciting work environment. We continue to grow at exponential rates and are looking for individuals that can support our speed to market, enjoy a challenge, and have a desire for professional growth and continuous learning experiences. Amazon’s work environment is unique in every aspect and offers an exceptional opportunity for the right candidate.
If you are a creative, smart and driven individual that enjoys working with complex problems we want YOU! At Amazon you will be responsible for working on multi-million dollar designs that support our array of businesses and wide variety of customers. Great ideas are encouraged and supported. Ingenuity is the main mechanism which supports our focus on quality, speed, and cost.
We are looking for engineers with hands on electrical design experience. If you can design an electrical system, have an understanding of the critical equipment needs for a data center, and understand the constructability of varying designs you may be a good fit. As we grow we are structuring our team to own more of our engineering in house. Engineers will be responsible for taking designs from concept to the permit and construction document set. You must be capable of defining critical equipment specifications and approving equipment submittals. Engineers will directly support construction and be a part of the process from site selection review through commissioning and ultimately turnover. At Amazon we highly support continued learning opportunities and focus on continued employee development.
At Amazon team work is absolutely necessary for us to accomplish our goals. You must be able to work within a team and depend on others to accomplish the required work. As an electrical engineer at Amazon you will be working with other internal groups as well as external groups including utilities, manufacturers, vendors, and contractors.
Amazon has a global presence. As this position is based out of Seattle, WA or Herndon, VA, travel to our data centers (located throughout AMER region), yearly team off-sites and vendor factory visits are required. Travel could be up to 20% of your time.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Key job responsibilities
Responsibilities of the Jr. Electrical Engineer:
Under the direction of a senior engineer, the Jr. Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the following:
- Data center electrical designs and collaboration with other disciplines to create a construction document set.
- Creation of designs which meet or exceed our quality requirements and fall within our budgetary requirements.
- Work with local agencies having jurisdiction to ensure compliance with federal, state and municipal requirements and building codes.
- Review and approval of equipment submittals.
- Define project scope and provide technical support for information requests prior to, and during construction phases.
- Work with commissioning teams to properly test and validate installation, operation, and performance of electrical systems.
- Ability to work on concurrent projects in multiple geographical regions.
- Travel to sites for site review and work with onsite field engineers, as well as provide engineering evaluations, electrical systems audits, and startup as needed.
- Having fun and offering creative, out of the box solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in an electrical engineering, or 6+ years of relevant electrical experience.
- 1+ year of experience with industrial or commercial electrical design.
- 1+ year experience developing design documentation (plans, specifications, etc) for construction and/or permitting.
- 1+ years of experience directly related to data center or mission critical facility design.
- Organized and have the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Understanding of the National Electrical Code requirements.
- Understanding of critical data center electrical equipment.
- Possess leadership and problem solving skills.
- Be a motivated, highly dependable individual.
- Ability to research new designs, technologies, and construction methods of data center equipment and facilities.
- An ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality, reliability, or maintainability.
- Possess excellent communication skills, attention to detail, maintain high quality standards.
- Understanding of uninterruptable power sources, diesel generators, electrical switchgear, power distribution units, variable frequency drives and automatic/static transfer switches.
- Basic understanding of mechanical equipment and system design.
- Experience with fast track design/build projects and or multiple significant upgrade projects.
- Experience with large scale technical operations or large-scale compute farms.
- Knowledge of building codes and regulations including Life Safety, IBC, NFPA, NEC, and OSHA.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.