Builder Tools at AWS is looking for a Software Development Engineer to join the Software Composition, Analysis & Notation (SCAN) Team. Our goal is to improve security and compliance posture of software used across Amazon. As a Software Development Engineer (SDE), you will own the design, implementation, and delivery of the software that accepts provenance data, executes composition analysis and other identification tooling to ensure the bill of materials is accurate, and ensures coverage of all software artifacts used internally.
The needs of the Amazon development community have changed as our business has grown. Builder Tools is creating tools to influence and improve the way software is developed, integrated, tested, and deployed around the world. This is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest in the industry, while innovating on new products and solutions. Experience with all levels of Enterprise application development will immensely benefit you in this position. You will work in a team setting solving technically challenging problems, as well as collaborate with other teams in Amazon Web Services and Amazon's entire software development community.
Key job responsibilities
- You are a significant and autonomous contributor. Your work is consistently of high quality. You solve difficult problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices, prioritizing long term over short term solutions. You consider the legacy of the code you produce and write code that an SDE unfamiliar with the system can understand. You limit the use of short-term workarounds. You focus on operational excellence, constructively identifying problems and proposing solutions.
- You work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant. You are proficient in a broad range of design approaches and know when it is appropriate to use them (and when it is not). Your solutions are pragmatic.
- You work on project ideas with customers, stakeholders, and peers. You help balance customer requirements with team requirements. You help your team evolve by actively participating in the code review process, design discussions, and team planning.
- You are able to train new teammates on how your team’s software is constructed, how it operates, how secure it is, and how it fits into the bigger picture. You foster a constructive dialogue and seek resolutions in a professional way. You help recruit and interview for your team. You mentor and help to develop others.
A day in the life
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have 13 employee-led affinity groups, reaching employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 16 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
AWS has the most services and more features within those services than any other cloud provider – from infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databases – to emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. Whether it's Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, or even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
About the team
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/” (https://blog.aboutamazon.com/%E2%80%9D)
Remote/Hybrid Work Options Available
We value your time to innovate and recognize the need for heads down time to focus on a build. We also value in-person collaboration and time spent face-to-face. Our team affords engineers with options to work in the office every day or work remotely in a flexible hybrid schedule if located near one of our Amazon offices.
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- 1+ years of experience in software development
- Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills (C/C++ and/or Java preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform)
- Knowledge of Perl or other scripting languages a plus
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
- Experience in optimization mathematics (linear programming, nonlinear optimization)
- Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
- Previous technical internship(s) preferred
- Graduate degree a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.