Come join the Amazon Web Services EC2 Core Platform development team responsible for a foundational components of the AWS EC2 service. This team owns services that manage core zone mapping functions, Image APIs, time, DHCP, and DNS. This team is looking for a strong technical leader to manage a highly skilled team of software engineers as they refine, optimize, and expand this service to manage this increasing scale and feature demand in a fast-growth environment. In this position you will manage and provide technical direction to a team of builders, as well as think big about the future of the service.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the large opportunity that Amazon EC2 presents and is eager for a significant intellectual, technical and operational challenge. In this role you will work with your team and senior leadership to develop, launch, and operate high quality services. You will need to be technically strong, able to communicate clearly, and capable of leading and growing a strong team that delivers results.
* Direct management of the software engineering team, including supporting and growing current team, and recruiting/hiring of new team members.
* Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy.
* Lead the evolution of the software engineering practices within the organization (metrics, development methodology, innovation).
* Understand and set a high bar for all parts of the DevOps lifecycle, including design, automation, documentation, monitoring, and testing.
* Be an advocate and drive optimization across the organization.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
* Experience establishing and evolving lean or agile development processes
* Firsthand knowledge and a passion for operating highly scalable distributed systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.