The AWS Data Center Construction Cost Control team is seeking a passionate and motivated manager with experience in developing and managing commercial cost management programs while mentoring and leading a team of Cost Engineers. The ideal candidate is innovative, analytical and knowledgeable in the core systems integral to data center construction, their associated costs and has a pulse on the construction market. You should have a bias toward automation and experience creating and maintaining benchmarks and metrics to support efficient and effective cost controls. You pay attention to detail and solve problems at their root. You have experience working with remote teams and ability to communicate effectively with both construction and non-construction professionals.
The Manager of Construction Cost Control is a strategically significant role dedicated to leading, mentoring, and coaching a team of skilled Cost Engineers. This team supports data center related construction projects across multiple regions within North and South America to ensure compliance and fiscal responsibility. As part of the larger team of construction specialists, you will be responsible for championing initiatives and seeking simple solutions to complex problems. You will use data driven metrics to seek ways to improve processes and reduce cycle times for the delivery of data center capacity supporting Amazon’s growth.
At Amazon, we are a diverse, driven, and creative team of engineers and leaders working daily to design and construct data centers that are changing the face of data facilities for our Customers.
Success as a Manager of Construction Cost Engineers is measured by:
• Hire and develop Cost Engineers. Coach, mentor and lead an international team
• Strategic and tactical management of cost control support across regions
• Develop and enhance tools and templates for bid analysis and cost management
• Use of metrics to measure and improve the performance of team
• Use of metrics to measure and improve the performance of 3rd party Quantity Surveyor vendors
• Working seamlessly with multi-disciplinary teams, both internal and external on an international scale
• Communicating cost control goals to all stakeholders effectively
• Implementing, maintaining and executing all cost control, change management, progress and performance reporting
• Ability to lead, motivate and train direct reports
• Ability to perform complex business case analysis and present recommendations to both construction and non-construction professionals.
Travel may be required, including international travel. 50-75%
• Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field.
• 7+ years of experience in construction cost control, with specific knowledge of electrical, mechanical and ASC cost elements.
• 4+ years managing a team of direct reports
• 4+ years’ experience with Data Center or other mission critical construction environments
• Experience working across multiple countries
• Experience developing and implementing new programs and initiatives
• Experience developing and justifying budgets
• Experience communicating estimate strategy to construction and non-construction professionals
• Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to create and maintain both project and process documentation at a portfolio level
• Experience with estimating software such as CostX, Cubit, Onscreen Takeoff, Timberline or Bluebeam
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Civil, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 7+ years of experience in construction cost control, with specific knowledge of electrical, mechanical and ASC cost elements.
- 4+ years managing a team of direct reports
- 4+ years experience with Data Center or other mission critical construction environments
- Experience with Electrical substation projects or related projects Experience developing and justifying budgets
- Experience communicating estimate strategy to construction and non-construction professionals
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to create and maintain documentation Experience with project management tools such as Procore.
- Experience with estimating software such as CostX, Cubit, Onscreen takeoff, Timberline and Bluebeam
- Ability and willingness to think outside of the box to find creative and innovative solutions to reduce costs with no impact on quality and reliability.
- MS Office Suite power user
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.