Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2) Networking is looking for a highly skilled full stack engineer who wants to join the development of an exciting new distributed networking platform. Come help us build a fault tolerant, highly available, elastically scaling system that will power new customer facing products and develop into a critical piece of the core EC2 Software Defined Network (SDN). We want someone who’s enthusiastic about the potential of cloud computing and building resilient, scalable and high-performance distributed services.
The ideal candidate is comfortable dealing with ambiguity, thinking big, and being extremely customer centric. We obsess over our customer, and require the candidate to share our passion in building and owning a product that delights our customers. They have a proven track record of delivering high quality solutions, performing rigorous testing and monitoring, and work independently as well as mentor junior engineers. We operate at scale and on critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is key. A high level of ownership and accountability is a must.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members.
We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Key job responsibilities
You are a significant and autonomous contributor. Your work is consistently of high quality. You solve difficult problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices. You work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant. You are proficient in a broad range of design approaches and know when it is appropriate to use them (and when it is not). Your solutions are pragmatic. You consider the legacy of the code you produce and write code that an SDE unfamiliar with the system can understand. You limit the use of short-term workarounds. You do things with the proper level of complexity the first time (or at least minimize incidental complexity). You create flexible software without over-engineering. You make appropriate trade-offs, re-use where possible, and are judicious about introducing dependencies. You are efficient with resource usage (e.g., system hardware, database, memory/CPU, etc.).
You work on project ideas with customers, stakeholders, and peers. You help balance customer requirements with team requirements. You help your team evolve by actively participating in the code review process, design discussions, team planning, and ticket/metric/COE reviews. You focus on operational excellence, constructively identifying problems and proposing solutions. You take on projects and make software enhancements that improve team software and processes. You work to resolve the root cause of complex problems, leaving software better and easier to maintain than when you found it. You are able to train new team-mates on how your team’s software is constructed, how it operates, how secure it is, and how it fits into the bigger picture. You foster a constructive dialogue and seek resolutions in a professional way. You help recruit and interview for your team. You mentor and help to develop others.
A day in the life
You joined the team last month and have finished the basic onboarding. You're ready to jump in and take ownership of a component for our upcoming launch later in the year. You volunteer to take ownership a new customer facing API; you plan a meeting with the product manager to review the requirements and begin working on the high level design to review with the team next week.
About the team
Our mission is to to help AWS customers build trust in their network on AWS by introducing innovative features to EC2 Networking.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one software programming language.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- Experience building scalable, fault-tolerant, distributed systems, preferably on a Unix or Linux platform
- Familiarity with AWS and EC2, ideally with hands on experience
- Internet and operating system security fundamentals
- A passion for mentoring and teamwork
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills
• If applicable, my San Francisco job posting also contains the following: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
• If applicable, my Los Angeles job posting also contains the following: Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
• If applicable, my New York City job posting also contains the following: Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.
• Regular and Reduced Time (F, R)* jobs based in Colorado and virtual jobs where work can be performed in Colorado: The pay range for this position in Colorado is $120.7k - $160k/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on payment and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.