This position can be based out of Santa Clara, CA; Seattle, WA; or New York City, NY.
Are you customer-obsessed, technologically curious, and eager to drive improvements to the developer experience of using AWS products? Amazon is seeking a motivated engineering professional with hands-on experience in technology, including cloud architecture, IT infrastructure and software development, combined with effective leadership and interpersonal skills.
Our team is dedicated to improving Amazon’s technical products through first-hand evaluation of the end-to-end technical customer experience using both internal and external processes and technology. Our mission is to deeply understand our customer’s experience, challenge the status quo, and provide insights that drive innovation to improve that experience. Through our technical analysis and our data-driven insights, we inform business decisions that directly impact developer experience in utilizing AWS technologies.
Our team evaluates the customer experience (e.g., software developer, IT Professional, Solutions Architect) and technical performance of a variety of AWS services, focusing on AWS Hybrid Cloud solutions and adjacent services in the storage, networking, and compute/containers domains. This role focuses on engineering work required to measure and drive improvements to the developer and IT professional experience of using these and similar AWS services.
We are expanding our services that aim to improve the customer experience for AWS enterprise customers in deploying hybrid cloud solutions and are looking for an exceptional Senior Systems Development Engineer!
As a Senior System Development Engineer you will design and build systems and tools for internal use that enable you to test, analyze, and explore customer-facing AWS services, with the goal of providing technical insights to drive product developer experience enhancements on behalf of our customers.
You will lead the implementation of automation across system bring-up and well as system performance across a hybrid cloud environment, focusing on hybrid storage solutions. You will get the opportunity to, via direct hands-on experimentation, work with a variety of cutting-edge cloud, and hybrid cloud technologies in the ways that customers do.
Key job responsibilities:
- Lead the build of automation framework for workload bring-up, configuration changes, and performance evaluation across hybrid cloud environments
- Manage ambiguity: Independently take steps necessary to understand complex technologies and customer use cases across a variety of customer personas and product categories to produce meaningful insights that drive improved customer experience.
- Design experiments that enable you to measure your day-to-day experiences in utilizing hybrid cloud solutions to provide the voice of the customer to internal AWS teams.
- Invent and simplify methodologies: Plan, design, and develop a portfolio of methodologies, tools, and systems for data collection and data analysis. Continuously innovate and improve processes to optimize efficiencies.
- Partner with senior product managers to turn your engineering insights into clear narratives that drive technical customer experience improvement opportunities for AWS customers.
- Design, build, and create enterprise-like customer scenarios in hybrid cloud enterprise environment consisting of storage and compute systems in on-premises datacenters that integrate with multiple services across cloud providers in various regions, working with the latest technology for cloud and hybrid cloud solutions specifically in the storage area
- Build tooling to measure storage performance and latency across cutting edge storage solutions used by top enterprise customers.
- Assist in the design and hands-on build out of infrastructure in new datacenter facilities
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field, or 5+ years relevant work experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in technical support, software development, or hands-on solutions architecture/implementation of storage systems (e.g. Network File System (NFS), Network Attached Storage) or related infrastructure
- 5+ years of programming experience building complex scripts, tooling, and automation in a language such as Python, Ruby, Linux/Power Shell or Go
- Experience with configuring and optimizing storage and networking integrations including bottleneck identification, and performance optimization
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with the integration of on-premises and hybrid storage solutions with the cloud
- Experience with AWS Services such as via AWS Certification as Developer Associate/DevOps Engineer Professional, or via equivalent certifications from other cloud providers
- Strong analytical skills, and demonstrated ability to turn detailed data analysis into useful strategic insight in order to drive customer adoption and make appropriate recommendations to the business
- Ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges in an enterprise environment
- Proficient in writing code to debug, automate tasks, implement monitoring, or otherwise interact with infrastructure
- Performance evaluation and tuning expertise in complex environments, across the stack of storage/compute/networking
- Knowledge and hands-on use of multiple cloud providers
- Understands the role that networking and caching play in complex storage architectures
- Experience with software engineering best practices (code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, deployment, release, and change management)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical individuals in a diverse team setting
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.