Amazon has built a reputation for excellence with a mission to be the earth’s most customer-centric company, a company that customers from all over the globe will recognize, value, and trust for both our products and our service. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is carrying on that tradition while leading the world in cloud technologies.
*** Please note for this position, the core business hours of operation while in Daylight Time are from 8am-4pm PDT (10am-6pm CDT, 11am-7pm EDT). You can be located in any time zone within the US but please only apply to this position if you are able to accommodate these core hours.***
The Escalation and Event Management (E2M) team is part of the broader AWS Support organization and is dedicated to managing critical escalations, customer facing communications, and handling large-scale customer impacting events. E2M’s purpose is to drive operational excellence and improvements to the overall customer experience.
Incident Management Engineers have a broad skill set with demonstrated career progression and a proven track record of delivering results. The successful candidate will possess strong analytical acumen, solid technology experience, superb business judgment, strategic account ownership and a propensity to dive deep to solve complex problems. You will also have a passion for creating/providing a world class experience for our customers. The candidate must understand the competitive and industry landscape and must have the leadership presence and communication skills to effectively work with customers at all levels of their organization. You must be a self-starter and able to execute at both a tactical and strategic level – with a strong attention to detail. This is a global role that requires excellent written and verbal communication skills and a passion and desire for leading the resolution of critical incidents. Your decisions are not only fundamental to helping protect our most critical customers but will help maintain the health of AWS customers worldwide.
Finally, you are passionate about technology with a desire to learn more and do more with AWS.
ABOUT THE ROLE
AWS Support is looking for a leader with a strong background in Incident Management and customer ownership to be there during the moments that matter for our most critical customers. We are looking for a Major Incident Manager to join our team to provide incident response and account ownership. In this position, you will play a pivotal role in providing communication, emergency response, technical resolver engagement and incident management for our customers.
Key job responsibilities
Every day will bring new and exciting challenges that include elements of:
* Drive the resolution of large scale customer impacting incidents as part of a team rotation
* Drive critical, complex customer escalations in situations that are sometimes technically challenging in collaboration with Engineering Teams.
* Provide critical incident response/management (including leading calls with internal/external participants) for customer’s critical workloads
* Contribute to Problem Records for customers
* Conduct continuous real-time proactive monitoring of customer metrics
* Prioritize, manage, and own emerging and developing customer issues from start to finish
* Monitor and manage communications during high impact events via relevant channels
* Collaborate with key stakeholders across AWS to improve the customer experience and develop mechanisms that support operational excellence
* Lead projects and virtual teams to drive operational improvements
* Create and review documentation; design/influence new standard operating procedures
* Identify and troubleshoot recurring platform issues and own projects to drive improvements
* Mentor peers in your areas of technical and operational strength
* Perform other duties as required by the organization
* 5+ years demonstrable Major Incident / Problem Manager Experience for organizations that run mission critical applications
* 2+ years of experience in Support Engineering, Network Engineering, Solutions Architecture, or similar IT role.
* Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Science/Technology, Communications Engineering, Business, or a related field (or 6+ years of relevant work experience)
Candidates that have been most successful after joining our team have demonstrated capabilities in one or more of these areas:
* Excellent written and oral English communication skills
* Industry specific accredited certification(s) such as the AWS Associate level certifications
* Familiarity with Cloud services with a focus on high availability and fault tolerant design
* Knowledge of ITIL/Lean Processes
* Effective prioritization and time management skills
* Ability to work in ambiguous environments
* Demonstrated critical thinking and logical problem solving skills
* Experience driving collaborative projects from conception to delivery
* Familiarity operating or designing distributed architectures with the ability to correlate system behaviors based on known inter-dependencies
* Experience creating or designing cloud application architectures with a focus on high availability
* Industry specific certification(s) such as the AWS SysOps Administrator certification
* Ability to review complex technical details regarding ongoing issues/events and convey the key details to senior stakeholders to facilitate real-time decision making
The base pay range for this position in Colorado is $95,600-$160,000/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.