Amazon Advertising is one of Amazon's fastest growing and most profitable businesses, responsible for defining and delivering a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our products are strategically important to our Retail and Marketplace businesses driving long term growth. We deliver billions of ad impressions and millions of clicks daily and are breaking fresh ground to create world-class products.
Passionate about Causal Inference and Big Data Systems? Interested in building new state-of-the-art measurement products at petabyte scale? Be part of a team of industry leading experts that operates one of the largest analytics and data science ecosystems at Amazon. Amazon is leveraging its highly unique data and applying the latest machine learning and big data technologies available to change the way marketers optimize their advertising spend. Our campaign measurement and reporting systems apply these technologies on terabytes of data a day (over 50B new events per day). In this role, you will be one of the key Economists tackling some of the hardest problems in advertising; measuring ads incrementality, providing estimated counterfactuals and predicting the success of advertising strategies. You will develop state of the art causal learning, deep learning, and predictive techniques to help marketers understand and optimize their spend.
As an Economist on this team, you will:
- Leverage ML models to build economic models that help customers leverage Amazon’s Advertising solutions most effectively.
- Improve our understanding of the advertisers on Amazon through advanced ML modeling and building an ML service that delivers recommendations to advertisers and solves the prioritization and selection of most optimum recommendations and measure impact with explain-ability.
- Work with Economists, Applied Scientists, Data Scientists to guide roadmaps.
- Design and analyze experiments (A/B testing etc.) to evaluate different strategies
- Use large datasets or experiments to make causal inferences or predictions
- Work with engineers to automate science analysis processes and build scalable measurement solutions
- Review and audit modeling processes and results for other scientists, both junior and senior.
- Partner with other science leaders throughout Amazon to develop consistent and repeatable solutions.
- Communicate with org leaders and business/engineering teams for models, experiments and data analysis.
Why you will love this opportunity: Amazon is investing heavily in building a world-class advertising business. This team defines and delivers a collection of advertising products that drive discovery and sales. Our solutions generate billions in revenue and drive long-term growth for Amazon’s Retail and Marketplace businesses. We deliver billions of ad impressions, millions of clicks daily, and break fresh ground to create world-class products. We are a highly motivated, collaborative, and fun-loving team with an entrepreneurial spirit - with a broad mandate to experiment and innovate.
Impact and Career Growth: You will invent new experiences and influence customer-facing shopping experiences to help suppliers grow their retail business and the auction dynamics that leverage native advertising; this is your opportunity to work within the fastest-growing businesses across all of Amazon! Define a long-term science vision for our advertising business, driven from our customers' needs, translating that direction into specific plans for research and applied scientists, as well as engineering and product teams. This role combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus, and business understanding.
Team video https://youtu.be/zD_6Lzw8raE
- PhD in Economics or closely related field
- Ph.D. degree in economics, labor economics, behavioral economics or related social science field with expertise in econometrics or applied statistics.
- Knowledge or experience in constructing, estimating, and defending causal statistical models.
- Experience in Python, Stata, R and/or Scala.
- 3+ years of industry experience as an Economist or closely related quantitative field.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to advocate technical solutions for science, engineering, and business audiences.
- Experience supporting multiple stakeholders. * Proven track record of solving real business problems.
- Fluency in data analysis languages (e.g., R, Python, SAS, SQL, etc.) .
- Experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities (hundreds of millions/billions of rows) of data - Experience in 1 or more of the following areas: causal learning, multi-variate testing, hypothesis testing, and A/B Testing.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Workers in New York City who perform in-person work or interact with the public in the course of business must show proof they have been fully vaccinated against COVID or request and receive approval for a reasonable accommodation, including medical or religious accommodation.