**This team growing in Boston, Chicago, Seattle and open to East Palo and select remote cities on a case by case basis**
Amazon Redshift is a fast, scalable analytic service that makes it simple and cost-effective for our customers to analyze data across their data warehouse and data lakes. Redshift delivers faster performance than other analytics services by using machine learning, massively parallel query execution, and columnar distributed storage on cloud. Amazon Redshift is rapidly growing, fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data analytic service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing virtually any size data set using the same SQL-based business intelligence tools they use today. They can launch a fully operational service with a few clicks. Amazon Redshift can elastically scale up and down the storage and compute to meet our customers demands, uses machine learning technology to auto-tune the database engine. It makes it easy for data analysts and database developers to create, train, and apply machine learning models using familiar SQL commands. By automating most of the labor-intensive tasks, Amazon Redshift enables customers to spend their time focusing on their data and business insights, rather than on procuring and managing infrastructure.
Joining the Amazon Redshift team gives you the opportunity to:
- Work on a disruptive product that’s still in its early stages. We are re-architecting several software components and building many new technologies to meet the future demands in Analytics and Databases space
- Solve challenging problems that will revolutionize database computing in the cloud
- Build a product that will leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud
- Work for a company that’s a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
- Be involved in the fast growing, big data space
We are looking for developers with expertise and passion for building large scale distributed systems. Experience with parallel query optimization and execution, large scale data analytics, highly available/fault tolerant systems, replicated data storage, and operating complex services running in the cloud are all pluses.
In this role, you will have responsibility for:
- Translating functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Coding and testing complex system components
- Participating in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
- Working with other teams to deliver and operate large scale, distributed services in the cloud
- Overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance
- Mentoring other engineers, defining our challenging technical culture, and helping to build a fast-growing team
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Experience building lower layers of large scale Distributed Storage, Distributed Databases, Distributed Filesystems, Data Management and related products
- Deep knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals such as, Object-Oriented design, Data Structures and Algorithms
- Strong Problem solving skills
- Deep knowledge in C, C++
- Experience developing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to massive customer base across the globe
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Experiencing mentoring junior software development engineers and driving engineering excellence
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.