Candidate can reside in any of these locations. Austin, TX- Dallas, TX- Carrollton, TX- Seattle WA or Arlington, VA.
Greetings from Woot! We’re the original daily deal site, an owned and operated subsidiary of Amazon. We’re like the weird kid brother of the family. Or the weird big sister. Or maybe the weird dog? Anyway, we’re weird. And you should come be weird with us! Yes, we sell things on our site like many other of these “e-commerce” people, but we’re unlike any other Amazon team you’ve heard of (no, really, it’s a good thing).
We are looking for a creative and clever Software Development Manager to help us use all those fancy buzzwords that hopefully will be picked up by a job description SEO bot like React/NextJS, GraphQL, AWS Serverless, and other fancy tools that define a modernized AWS technology stack. You'll stick all these tools in a blender to predict the awesomeness of deals at high scale so we can only put the mostly absolutely amazing crap up on the site.
You will architect and contribute to the building of huuuugely scalable systems to process bajillibytes (a term we hope to trademark) of data and work with product managers, research scientists, and a team of highly capable yet lovable software engineers to make sense of it all. Does that sound like fun to you?
If you're an experienced software development manager bored of the norm who loves building stuff, getting into the details, and doesn't mind a work environment with a dose of silliness, we'd love to chat with you. It'll be fun, it'll be an adventure, and you'll be able to get a lot of stuff done fairly fast. You should be great at thinking in terms of architecture, mentoring and influencing other engineers, and relish asking tough questions.
Key job responsibilities
- Tackle large software architecture and service operations challenges, our goal is to build and keep Woot's services AWS modern, utilizing the best software architecture with the most modern standards. You will challenge a team of engineers to continue to raise the bar for quality for all software in your portfolio.
- Tackle large roadmap initiatives, opening new possibilities for our business to grow and scale, building automated, efficient processes to support the business to scale.
- Continue to raise the bar in our engineering team by providing training, career growth plans, and hiring strategically to consistently improve team capabilities.
- Work with Product Managers, Vendor Managers, Research Scientists, Data Engineers, senior leaders, and a host of teams inside Amazon to learn, get access to troves of data, and deliver automation, tooling, and applications.
- Mentor junior engineers in the team and help them grow in their technical prowess.
- Dodge flying screaming monkeys from time to time.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals, including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience architecting and building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills.
- Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team.
- Experienced in hiring and developing strong, efficient, capable engineering teams.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: - 8+ years professional experience in software development management
- Experience with managing teams operating large scale systems.
- Experience with AWS and/or distributed computing, serverless applications, and non-relational data stores.
- Experience building and operating high-scale structured data services.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.