Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides a highly reliable, scalable, low-cost infrastructure platform in the cloud that powers hundreds of thousands of businesses in 190 countries around the world. To meet the ever-growing demand for AWS Services around the globe, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people.
The Data Center Operations Tools and Technology (TNT) organization within Amazon Web Services (AWS) is looking for a talented System Development Manager to join the team. Our team owns software and systems that automate critical Data Center Operations tasks and make it easier to deliver the highest availability and lowest cost for AWS customers. Our systems deliver the technology that allows a technician to smoothly and efficiently build out new capacity in the data center, or respond quickly and confidently to an issue with a server rack and rapidly get it back to a healthy state again. What we do makes a difference, and we’re just getting started! We are looking for developers who are passionate about making Data Center Operations run more smoothly and efficiently through automation.
If you have what we’re looking for, come join a strong team in a highly-visible organization. You will have a significant impact on the day to day availability and efficiency of Amazon's Data Center Operations.
You will drive the team’s software development roadmaps, leading prioritization and design requirements. The Manager will be responsible for the lifecycle of their products from design, development, quality reviews and deployment, as well as operational excellence through continuous improvement, visibility, and standardization to deliver highly available services to our customers.
A successful candidate will be a hands-on manager with an established background in developing and operating platforms and services, developing and hiring extraordinary talent, have strong technical ability, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a dynamic fast paced environment.
- Manage the design and development of new software solutions supporting our internal teams, including code reviews, testing, deployment and post-launch monitoring
- Lead and manage the team that drives organizational standards for operational excellence and resiliency
- Develop, communicate, and maintain project road maps
- Establish strong relationships with internal partners and peer stakeholders to understand and meet their needs while operating existing systems at a high quality
- Dive into details of issues, make technical contributions, and drive the delivery of products and software solutions.
- Focus on hands on development of your team. Mentor, coach and grow highly talented engineers. Train engineers on best practices and drive operational excellence.
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 2+ years of experience managing an Agile team of 5+ software engineers
- 5+ years of professional experience in software development
- Experience building scalable with service oriented architectures
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, e.g. Java, Python, or C++
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or an equivalent in relevant work experience
- A deep understanding of software engineering practices, object oriented design, patterns and algorithms
- Experience with telemetry, optimization, and/or machine learning
- Demonstrated strong technical judgment in conjunction with passionate customer-focus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience delivering cloud services will be a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.