AWS Support is looking for a talented Business Intelligence Manager (BIE-Manager) , who enjoys the challenge of diving into complex business problems, providing data driven insights, and making recommendations that directly impact business. As a BIE-Manager, you will lead teams that build analytic and reporting capabilities to enable optimization of our Support teams. The ideal candidate is a highly analytical, critical thinker with advanced problem solving, data mining, and data engineering/software development skills. They are expected to build/lead world class teams, demonstrate thought-leadership, guide the team to make the right scientific or technical trade-offs to meet long term/short-term business needs and oversee the build of Business Intelligence solutions. They will work with Operations leaders, program managers, product managers, data engineers, and software developers to drive decisions across Amazon’s operations teams. Successful members of this team are customer obsessed, flexible, and collaborative team players who enjoying working across functions and organizations to solve problems and get results. They thrive in ambiguity, ask hard questions, and build scalable solutions that provide critical business insights necessary to influence decision making. They work with their teams to find timely answers buried in large data sets and complex systems, identify root causes, and are obsessed with generating business insights.
Business Intelligence Manager is a leader on the team and others look to them for advice on analytical and business issues they are facing. They are right a lot, work very efficiently, and enable their teams to routinely deliver results on time. They have a global view of the analytical solutions that their teams build and consistently think in terms of automating, expanding, and scaling the results broadly.
Here are some other qualities we are looking for:
Be great fun to work with. At Amazon, we have a credo of “Work hard. Have fun. Make history”. In this role, you will love what you do, and instinctively know how to make work fun. You will be dynamic and creative, and willing to take on any challenge and make a big impact.
Display flexibility to manage shifting priorities and influence in the face of ambiguity. You will help create critical business process for a rapidly evolving organization
Enjoy developing solutions for technical talent to achieve great things. You will have a passion for enabling cloud computing experts through your data products for a diverse and challenging set of customers.
Have a strong understanding of solutions innovation. The ideal candidate will have past experience working with technical teams or similar role to support the operations of the business.
Key job responsibilities
- Hire, manage, coach and lead a high performing team of Data engineers, Business Intelligence Engineers and Business/data Analysts.
- Be a key influencer in strategy and contribute significantly to team planning
- Engage with leadership and diversified stakeholder groups to understand their data needs and recommend Reporting/Business intelligence solutions.
- Show good judgement making technical trade-offs between the team’s short term and long term business needs.
- Collaborating effectively with internal end-users, cross-functional software development teams, and technical support/sustaining engineering teams to solve problems and implement new solutions.
- Helping to automate processes by working with teams to develop deep-dive tools, UIs, metrics, and dashboards to communicate insights to the business teams.
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing performance metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, etc. to drive key business decisions.
- Recognize and adopt best practices in reporting and analysis: data integrity, test design, analysis, validation, and documentation.
A day in the life
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative area such as business, math, statistics, computer science, engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years in relevant experience as data scientist, business intelligence engineer, or equivalent.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL, shell scripting, Python/R, and MS excel.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques (e.g., clustering, classification, time-series) and their applications
- Strong understanding of BI technologies and their application including databases, big-data technologies, data-warehousing and dash-boarding
- Experience on at least one data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, QlikView)
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally and delivering large automated analytics and/or data science solutions
- 3+ years of relevant experience in building/leading teams of Data engineers, Business Intelligence Engineers and Business/data analysts
- Strong verbal/written communication and data presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Master's degree in Math/Statistics/Engineering or other equivalent quantitative discipline.
- 8+ years in relevant experience as data scientist, business intelligence engineer, or equivalent.
- Familiarity with Operations concepts - Planning, Forecasting, Optimization, and Customer experience - gained through work experience or graduate level education.
- Experience communicating with senior management (VP level decision makers) as well as with colleagues from computer science, operations research, and business backgrounds.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.