The AWS Engagement Security Engineering team owns products and tools that thousands of AWS Solutions Architects (SAs) use to work efficiently and securely with customers. We build tools that ensure internal AWS Accounts are meeting AWS security requirements and best practices, allowing them to work collaboratively with customers.
Our team is looking for a seasoned front end engineer to help define, design, prototype, and build these experiences. To achieve this, you will collaborate closely with product managers, UX designers, and other AWS service teams.
The ideal candidate is passionate about building user experiences and has a track record of building interfaces which are beautiful in form, function, and simplicity. The ability to work within a creative and positive team environment are key to the role.
You should have a solid background in the fundamentals of software development, and have a deep understanding of best practices in various languages/technologies. You should love creating things and take great personal pride in building cool interfaces for other developer tools.
Key job responsibilities
- Work closely with senior engineers, UX designers, and product managers to develop friendly UI experiences.
- Work closely with engineers to architect and develop the best technical design.
- Develop/maintain operational rigor for the frontend of a fast-growing AWS service.
- Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against defined schedules and milestones.
About the team
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Our team is mostly located in Austin/Houston, TX. Most engineers work in an hybrid work environment where they work on site a couple of days a week and the rest from home. Our work day generally ranges from 10am to 6pm CDT, but is flexible depending on the team member. Some of us may start our day earlier or stay later, depending on the day.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week a month, but as the team grows this will lessen. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Everyone on the team plays a role in raising the bar on how we develop complex, scalable, reliable code for our team. Managers have frequent 1:1s with their engineers, and career conversations where we seek to understand people’s career motivations and provide honest, respectful feedback to facilitate them achieving their goals.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust
Come join us as we continue to build a cloud-scale service designed to delight customers!
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline (or equivalent experience).
- Programming experience with common front-end frameworks such as HTML, CSS, React, Vue, Angular.
Experience in one or more of the following:
- Masters degree in CS or an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of professional front end development
- Experience building reusable UX components or libraries
- Ability to rapidly design, prototype, and adjust in response to customer feedback
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Solid coding practices including peer code reviews, unit testing, and a preference for agile development.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.