Since its founding in 2013, Ring has been on a mission to make neighborhoods safer. From the first-ever video doorbell, to the award-winning DIY Ring Alarm system, Ring’s smart home security product line, as well as the Neighbors app, offer users affordable whole-home and neighborhood security. At Ring, we are committed to making home and neighborhood security accessible and effective for everyone -- while working hard to bring communities together. Ring is an Amazon company. For more information, visit www.ring.com. With Ring, you’re always home.
Ring is connecting communities to help build safer neighborhoods, and we are currently seeking a Production Designer (PD) to join our Product Experience (PX) team to further that mission. In this role, you will be responsible for hands-on print production and pre-press for global device packaging systems in a rapidly evolving, scale-up environment; producing consistent files with acute attention to detail for an optimal product experience for customers.
The PD will have robust organizational skills and ownership, ensuring necessary process steps are taken for accuracy and on-time delivery—bringing an in-depth understanding of dielines, layout, visual design, typography, 3D structures, and manufacturing techniques for press. You will lead the conversion of design layouts into print-ready mechanicals for new products and sustaining programs; executing end-to-end production for outer box artwork, inbox publications, and labeling.
You will be curious and comfortable diving deep into your projects to communicate and resolve blockers—lending design skills following established guidelines when needed. The PD will identify opportunities to improve print quality and color-matching through effective mechanisms and collaboration with external suppliers. You will partner with PX designers, writers, and program managers to finalize designs and close out legal reviews—working seamlessly from handoff to release.
This is a virtual position requiring west coast hours with limited domestic and international travel. To support in-person events and workshops, our team also has office hubs in: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Phoenix.
Key job responsibilities
• Prep, proof, preflight, and approve final mechanicals and proofs based on designer and supplier output specs.
• Partner with designers and writers on the development and turnover of assets, including: reviews, revisions, and approval of final files.
• Ensure the integrity of the approved concept design throughout the production process.
• Utilize and lend technical knowledge to build and keep uniformity across all print mechanicals.
• Attend remote press checks and contribute to process improvements.
• Verify the accuracy of copy, regulated package elements, and basic compliance requirements.
• Independently manage production calendar of tasks assigned by program manager to deliver on time.
• Prepare assets for agency distribution; Review and provide feedback for agency submitted artwork.
• Keep current with production standards and technology.
• Work within a continuous improvement environment to implement design production solutions that improve output quality, increase efficiency and speed, and/or enhance customer experience.
• Apply broad knowledge of production skills, project workflows and file/asset management, to handle assigned projects with minimal supervision.
• Ensure all projects are completed within identified timelines and outputs meet requirements for delivery.
• Take on limited design work when required, in order to supplement team workload.
A day in the life
You’ll use your technical thinking skills and impeccable attention to detail to create and update a broad range of packaging deliverable mechanicals; communicating closely with our team of designers, program managers, producers, and writers to understand design intent and turn ideas into concrete action plans. You’ll contribute throughout all production touch-points, implementing production design across the complete set of program assets, and help to identify improvement opportunities that maintain a high bar—shipping accurate, on-time products.
About the team
PX is a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team of designers, engineers, producers, writers, product managers, and program managers working together to bring the Ring product vision to life. We enjoy what we do, have big ideas, and tackle complex problems by taking risks that drive global solutions. In every work stream, we immerse ourselves in insights, and invent on behalf of our customers, Neighbors. We brainstorm scenarios they will benefit from and solutions to pain points—crafting innovative products that aim to connect the physical and digital customer journey.
• Bachelor's degree in design or equivalent professional experience.
• 5+ years of experience in a print Production Designer role.
• Experience with production design for mass produced consumer-packaged goods or electronics.
• Online portfolio or PDF including at least 3 multi-package systems demonstrating dedication to high quality production.
• Advanced skills with Adobe Creative Suite—specifically InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop—on MacOS.
• In-depth knowledge and experience with international localization, spot colors, four-color printing, and copy proofing.
• Strong interest in the technical and production side of design.
• Extensive knowledge of pre-press and print production, as well as an eye for composition.
• Working with third-party production agencies and illustrators on workload overflow.
• Working into existing templates and parent document styling.
• Ability to prioritize tasks with excellent time-management and organization.
• Able to contribute to packaging production best practices and standards.
• Light design abilities, including photography retouching, illustration edits, and render set up for press.
• Ability to produce independently in a team environment receiving guidance from a manager.
• Strong attention to detail and willingness to learn existing and new workflows.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, along with the ability to listen for understanding to execute work that meets business objectives.
• Ability to build and maintain strong and effective team and internal relationships.
• Produce technically correct, print- or digital-ready materials.
• Experience working within a high-growth, technology company.
• Motivated self-starter, proactive and action-oriented with strong problem-solving skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.