Ring is looking for Senior Software Development Engineer to lead the design and architecture of core Sidewalk cloud services. You will help build a nationwide community network that will enable connectivity for millions of IOT devices and processes millions of messages in a day. You will drive technical direction and feature roadmap for core network services that will provide a scalable backbone to the network and support functionalities like authentication, encryption, message routing, and device life-cycle management. You will define real-time monitoring and analytics solutions to continuously learn, and help build customer trust by preventing security incidents and improving network availability.
Key job responsibilities
- Scale key components of the core Sidewalk network services and messaging platform across multiple AWS regions, improving fault tolerance and reliability
- Think big; bring fresh ideas and approaches to simplify onboarding new devices on the Sidewalk network and improve customer value
- Evaluate different design choices, prototype new technology, and implement technical solutions that address business requirements
- Contribute in defining product roadmap, understand business impact of system choices, and make technical trade-offs using sound judgement
- Work closely with ML scientists, understand the requirements, design and deliver innovative monitoring solutions to help preserve customer trust.
- Drive engineering best practices around operational excellence, security, test automation coverage and set standards in the team
- Deal with ambiguity, make data-driven decisions and juggle cross-organization complexity
- Drive consensus when confronted with discordant views by identifying the best path forward and influence other to follow it
A day in the life
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will have the opportunity to influence the product roadmap, define key components of overall system architecture and lead the adoption of best practices within the org. You will work closely with cross functional teams across Ring, Echo, and Alexa orgs to bring a unified connectivity solution for our customers.
About the team
Sidewalk network services team owns all the core services and infrastructure that is backbone of the Sidewalk network. Sidewalk is already enabled on more than 80 million Amazon and Ring devices, with more devices added every day. The team is responsible for scaling the core connectivity and messaging platform for the network. Services follow event driven system architecture that blends various server-less computer technologies. The team believes in choosing the right tool and technology for the job, and has created services in various programming languages like Java, Kotlin, Go, Rust, and Python.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- 2+ years of experience deploying and managing cloud services across multiple AWS regions and availability zones
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with various AWS service offerings and identifying the right tool for the problem at hand.
- 5+ years of experience building successful production systems.
- Experience developing cloud services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance, security, and reliability.
- Experience building large scale distributed event driven architecture.
- Background in developing high volume Machine learning (ML) pipelines, a plus.
- Proficient in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Pursuant to the Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.